Author Topic: Filling Fresh Water Tank  (Read 5970 times)

harry kew

Filling Fresh Water Tank
« on: July 24, 2010, 06:08:23 PM »
The fresh water tank on my 99 Patriot 40' is slow to fill with fresh water. It takes 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour to fill the 100 gallon tank. Is this normal?

Gerald Farris

Re: Filling Fresh Water Tank
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 06:31:41 PM »
There are some modifications that can be made to your system to increase your water flow rate (decrease fill time), but the 1/2 hour fill time is about right without them.

Gerald

harry kew

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 07:45:33 PM »
Thanks Gerald. Do you know what the modifications would be?

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 01:14:37 AM »
I see the same problem on our 07 Pat. Thunder, at first I had assume this to be an indication of the line filters problem after changing these out I still have the same problem. You would think that Beaver would have corrected the problem by 07

Jerry
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 02:37:09 AM »
About 10 years ago, I sent Matt Perlot a solution for that problem.  The suggestion was to add a 1 inch fill tube directly into the tank without restrictions.  He said that could not be done because the tank was mounted against the roof of the bay.  I guess he didn't think of lowering the water tank to the floor.  That would lower the center of gravity and making it possible to fill the tank in 10 minutes.  That would have involved engineering ie money.

Larry

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 06:59:55 AM »
Harry,
The first and easiest modification to make is to remove the factory inlet water regulator (city water inlet), and replace it with a high flow check valve. You will also have to use a high flow rate (5/8 to 3/4 inch inside diameter) Watts adjustable water regulator (preferable with a pressure gauge) set at 60 PSI at the facet before your water hose.

This modification should increase your water flow rate when filling the tank or using water inside the coach when on city water without the water pump by about 50% or maybe a little more.

There are also other modifications that can be done to improve the fill rate of the tank but they are more complicated and they will give a lower percentage of flow increase.

Gerald

Bill Sprague

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 05:39:16 AM »
Mine is painfully slow to fill too.   I have made the modifications with the 3//4 inch Watts pressure regulator and the high rate check valve suggested by Gerald and there is some improvement, but not enough.  I think the real restriction is in the manifold with the valves on it.  

I have figured out a way to add a one inch fill line directly to the tank.  The tricky part is installing new bulkhead fittings for the inlet and a vent.  I've gathered the parts and tools so the remainder should be about a 1 hour job.  

I'll be at Harrisburg if anyone wants to see the parts, how I'm going to do it and offer advice.  Cost  for the parts is about $25.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 07:19:01 PM »
Hi Bill, I would like to see how you do the change! See you in Harrisburg

Jerry
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13