Author Topic: Trip planning software  (Read 15167 times)

Lawrence Tarnoff

Trip planning software
« on: November 08, 2015, 06:37:34 PM »
Lots of apps for planning trips out there.  What do you folks use?

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Trip planning software
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 07:45:28 PM »
I take a somewhat "old-fashioned" approach; Google maps, Garmin GPS, and a Rand McNally atlas.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Dick Simonis

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 08:40:32 PM »
I have tried several but the best (for me) is the old Microsoft Trip and Street.  I can plan our entire 5 month, many stop trip very easily.  Than I archieve each trip so I can go back and look at where we went, how long we stayed, and etc.

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 11:47:45 PM »
I use the same method as Steve, figure out where and when we want to end up, then just go day by day or a week at a time. We don't like to get too locked down on where we are going. Next spring we will head east down through Tx, Tenn, up to Ohio and on up to upper Ny. Who knows on the way back.

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 12:20:13 AM »
Good Sam trip planner is easy to use but still need some old fashioned maps to assist.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

BJ Sprague

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 03:23:46 AM »
Bill and I have used Microsoft Streets and Trips for many years.  It's been great for trip planning.  I especially like the customizable options for routes under the route planning section of the software.  Unfortunately, Microsoft is no longer selling current versions of this software - instead encouraging users to try Bing maps, which is not of the same caliber as Streets and Trips.  If anyone has used software that has applications beyond the map programs and which is compatible with Windows 10, it would be helpful to post on the BAC Forum.  Right now my preferred is the 2013 Streets and Trips, even though Microsoft is no longer supporting with updates.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 03:44:35 PM »
Bill and I have used Microsoft Streets and Trips for many years.  It's been great for trip planning.  I especially like the customizable options for routes under the route planning section of the software.  Unfortunately, Microsoft is no longer selling current versions of this software - instead encouraging users to try Bing maps, which is not of the same caliber as Streets and Trips.  If anyone has used software that has applications beyond the map programs and which is compatible with Windows 10, it would be helpful to post on the BAC Forum.  Right now my preferred is the 2013 Streets and Trips, even though Microsoft is no longer supporting with updates.
Me too!   :)

Frank Towle

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 04:36:40 PM »
Hi All, 

Have worked with Microsoft Streets and Trips, Rand McNally TripMaker and DeLorme Street Atlas USA.  For richness of features, trip planning and real-time routing I settled on DeLorme and have been using that tool for 15+ years, currently on 2015 version.  Laptop on center cabinet, GPS puck near windshield, plugged into PC speakers on dash. 

In the future, will move software to PC brick in overhead cabinet and feed combo TV/Monitor and use voice control when necessary.

Regards,

Edward Buker

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 04:37:08 PM »
I have windows 10 installed and Street Atlas 2015 Plus from Delorme still seems to work fine. I have no spent a lot of time in Windows 10 working with it but did open up some older saved routes.

Later Ed

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 04:45:11 PM »
When GPS technology first became available I purchased a Garmin Street Pilot GPS and the associated Map Source software that supported trip planning on my PC and transfer to the GPS. I would spend hours planning the trips making sure I had every route nailed down. Then Garmin stopped supporting the Street Pilot and associated software. I acquired a Garmin Nuvi with lifetime map updates and added enough memory to cover the US and Canada. Only "downside" at the time was that it would not support the transfer of routes generated on my PC. This current discussion prompted me to do a search for trip planning software and I found that Garmin's Base Camp and associated software apparently will support route development and transfer to the GPS. I almost downloaded it and then realized that I've been getting along fine by using Goggle Maps and the RM Atlas to plan a general overview of the trip and then dividing the trip into day segments on the GPS that take about 10 minutes the night before to load. Saves me the time I used to spend planning, programming and downloading the complete trip. Been working for me for a number of years now. Also gives me a feeling of more flexibility in routes I take.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gerald Farris

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 12:29:29 PM »
Lawrence,
As you can see, there are many options for using GPS programs to plan your trips. So it boils down to what suits your preferences, and for me you can not beat Delorme Street Atlas, especially if you are using map layers with draw files as I do.

Gerald

BJ Sprague

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 05:22:58 PM »
Good info, all.  We use Garmin GPS for the GPS routing and cross reference with Google maps.  The "trip planning" is done concurrently using Trip Advisor and Streets and Trips to maximize the "touristing" experience along the route.  We tried the DeLorme a few years ago.  Thanks for the current recommendations.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 05:25:08 PM by BJ Sprague »

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 12:35:29 AM »
I always use my Garmin and follow up with Google maps and my atlas from Walmart. I hate being lead down non turn around roads!!!!!
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Frank Towle

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2015, 12:29:08 AM »
Funny you should mention non-turnarounds...  Only twice (maybe three times) in 35 years of piloting a coach have we had to deal with that.

1st time: Unhooked, backed and 3pointed it.

2nd time: Left hooked, put wife in toad with engine running, told her to just hold steering wheel straight, backed a long way...

3rd time: sand lot, buried coach drive axle, unhooked, jacked up on planks with leveling jacks (can't do that with current rig - so more careful where I drive), filled holes back in, backed out w/disconnected air leveling valve.  There's more to the story, ha, ha.

Maybe we should start a new category "Most embarrassing RV moments".

Best Turkey day to all,  Frank & Jean

Harold and Gloria Skipworth

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 04:57:59 AM »
My favorites were Trailer Life "Campground Navigator" and Streets and Trips.  The last issue of Navigator in 2013 and was pretty well stripped of campground info , thanks to Good Sam.  I have a prized copy of Streets and Trips from 2013 and 2011 that are still better than any thing else IMHO.  For my self the online Good Sam is the most difficult planning guide out there but judge for your self.  My Magellan GPS RV'r unit amazes me with the ability to find campgrounds a Tom Tom GPS cannot locate. I usually lay out a trip with Campground Navigator then plug the stops in the Magellan and let it plot the route.