Author Topic: New Guy With the First of Many Questions  (Read 5899 times)

Robin Goffrier

New Guy With the First of Many Questions
« on: November 08, 2015, 08:50:34 PM »
Howdy Folks, We recently purchased our first Beaver after a couple gas Itascas and a diesel Allegro Bus.  Bearver's an '01 Marquis with C-12 455, 45K miles.  Got if from the Beaver store here in Bend.  She's a beautiful old gal and is generally in good condition. Also purchased a 4 year, 50K additional mile warranty. Bought the MH in September, taken a couple of one week shakedown cruises and used the warranty twice already, once for a new alternator and again for a radiator fan control switch.  My first question is rather general and  meant to elicit, again, general responses based on owner's experience. Since buying the rig I have been lurking in the weeds reading as much as possible on these old coaches, including topics from various owners forums.  I know that positive experiences are posted far less often than negative and so I do not want to presume that a few isolated problems are the norm.  For example, I have not seen a topic headlined, "I sure like my leveling system and it always works great" But I have seen a few that bemoan an out of date malfunctioning leveling system. So, my question is this:  When one purchases one of these grand older machines, should it be expected that systems and/or parts that are no longer available will routinely be an issue?  Yesterday, I was at Beaver Sales and Service in Bend and in the shop is an '01 Marquis with break issues.  The big issue is that the part on the Magnum chassis that must be replaced has not been made for years, is not available for purchase anywhere and must be fabricated specifically for this coach.  Have many of you out there had a similar experience?  Thank you very much.

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
Re: New Guy With the First of Many Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 09:03:49 PM »
Welcome to the Beaver Forum and to your new Beaver ownership! I have a 2001 Contessa I purchased from a private seller 4 years ago.

I have had one major issue with the SMC hydraulic jack system. Bad leak and no real way to fix a leaking jack. I had HWH take it out and it wasn't cheap to replace with an air system with the airbags.

Also, Now I had an issue with a CAT 3126B engine fan blade cracked. CAT could not find a replacement so I hit the internet for two days trying to find one. Finally got lucky and found a new one on a shelf at Superior Turbo in Detroit.

Sometimes you have to be diligent when an issue comes up. This site has many knowledgeable members with good insight to fix things or find the right places to get parts. I have been lucky to have such a great group to refer to when I have these issues.

They are a well built coach and there are a lot of them out there, even older than ours. Enjoy your coach and feel free to chime in if you have any issues. You will get the help you need.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 09:20:24 PM »
Robin,
Welcome to the Forum. I've had 2 SMC based coaches; an 01 Contessa with hydraulic leveling and an 00 Marquis with both hydraulic and air leveling. The only level system problems I ran into were a cracked landing pad and a bad IDS control panel on the Contessa. Both were "out of production" but found the panel on eBay and BCS had the landing pad. I also lost an air bag on the Marquis due to a tire blowout and although BCS said they couldn't source it, I found a good stock at NW RV in OR. Bottom line is that most parts are available but you might need to spend some time digging. Also some of us Forum members are "pack rats" so we are another possible source.
The SMC chassis (IMHO) is one of the best ones out there and the Marquis is a super coach.
Steve
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 09:22:30 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Robin Goffrier

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 11:25:22 PM »
I thank you both for the input.

Keith Moffett