Author Topic: Hot water replacement unit  (Read 7272 times)

John Padmore

Hot water replacement unit
« on: October 30, 2015, 11:03:02 PM »
Don't know how it happened but I think the hot water coil is split on my aqua hot. When I turn on the water pump hot water is leaking from under the unit. When I winterized last year all faucets ran pink for awhile. Heat is fine so I know that isn't the problem. Since I have neither the resources not the desire to remove the aqua hot I am looking for an alternative hot water heater..  Had anyone installed an electric unit as a replacement? I am once again 1850 miles from the Beaver. Thanks for the advice.
John

Orman Claxton

Re: Hot water replacement unit
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 02:12:46 AM »
John
Check all connections around the AH. I doubt it is the unit cracked.

John Padmore

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 03:25:43 PM »
Orman there is no water visible on the tray when the front cover is removed.  Hot Water pours out underneath from the opening for the exhaust when the pump is on and the faucet is opened.
John

Orman Claxton

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 10:29:28 PM »
If there was a crack, it would probably come out the exhaust pipe
Check water lines

John Padmore

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 11:19:47 PM »
Ok Orman.  I will check the exhaust next time I am at the coach. Thanks. 
John

Marty Belshe

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 04:24:48 PM »
John,  New to BAC and my first post.  Having had an internal coil split myself, if you are leaking hot water, my guess is you have an external leak which should be fairly easy to have fixed.  If the leak is internal, you would have antifreeze pushing out through the overflow which on my hydro-hot came out around exhaust pipe.  By external I mean that the leak my not be visible until the tin outer box and insulation are removed.  Aqua-hot told me my unit, with an internal leak could not be repaired and had a replacement unit for about $8,500.00.  I'm a farmer and have a fairly well equipped shop and some skills, and fixed the unit myself. I cut the back out of the internal box with a plasma torch made a new coil (about 30-40 feet) out of heavy copper tube, then welded the box back together.  Any qualified welding shop could probably do the job.  Hope this helps.
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Carol Moffett, Jerry Emert

Bruce Sieloff

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 12:42:25 AM »
John,
I have a previous post for those interested in delving into the AQ. 
Re: Aqua Hot Hack. - lengthy.
It describes two methods for regaining hot water without having to replace the Aqua Hot.
The secret heat transfer adhesive is made by CHEMAX CORP, New Castle Delaware.  www.chemaxcorp.com   800-804-4596.