Author Topic: Basment Air, the Ongoing Saga  (Read 3491 times)

Dick Simonis

Basment Air, the Ongoing Saga
« on: November 16, 2015, 05:52:48 PM »
While in general I like the basement air it has a couple of issues I find annoying.  Most prominently it the hot air from the outside fan that blows under the coach and into the patio area.  Over the summer while we were in Lebanon for a couple of months I rigged an air deflector using a cut up cardboard box that I sort of stuffed under the coach and it worked well enough but not something that was very practical for shorter stops.

Next attempt was using one carpet runners we use outdoors.  This I rigged as a drape under the bay doors and held it in place by simply semi-closing the bay door.  This worked very well except the runner was not long enough.  Latter we went to Lowes and purchases a 20"X12" piece of brown outdoor carpet for ~$12.00 and ran it from the Aqua Hot door all the way back to the last bay.  Viola, problem solved but not good enough for a long term solution.  The next stop will be to install some fasteners along the bottom frame so we can easily snap it in place.

Now that we have a solution that can be rigged there is one more thing I'm going to try.  I crawled under the coach last week and looked at the opening for the air exhaust.  Much to my surprise it's not just a rough cut opening but a nice symmetrical 13" X 37" X 2" deep cutout with a steel frame covered by a steel baffle plate with a bunch of holes for the air to pass through.  With those dimensions I went online and found a manufacturer of louvers that can make a 36" X 12" X 2" steel louver with a 1 1/2" flange that should just bolt right into place.  Ordered it this morning and should have it in ~ 4 weeks.

I'm thinking this louver will eliminate virtually all of the hot air blowing into the patio area and looking forward to getting it installed and tested.

Interestingly I was chatting with our neighbor in Lebanon and he has the same issue with his CC Prevost so the issue is not isolated to our Beavers.
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Basment Air, the Ongoing Saga
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 03:14:43 PM »
                Hi Dick,
    Enclosed is a pic of the modified mud flap I installed in the opening of the discharge area of the air conditioner condenser.
I purchased a universal rubber mud flap from the auto parts store. It came 35" x 24". I trimmed it down to 13" which is the height of the clearance when the air is dumped. I also put a 45 degree angle on the front end for aerodynamics in transit and the occasional hi-center possibility. It diverts about 90 percent of the hot air from the patio. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett