Author Topic: Refill or add Extend-A-Stay  (Read 4929 times)

Gary Wolfer

Refill or add Extend-A-Stay
« on: November 23, 2015, 05:28:37 PM »
I have a small problem. I have been here in Winchester Bay Oregon for a year now and do not intend to pull out this winter. I am on a private lot and have been here for a year now. My problem is I cannot get amerigas or any other propane distributor to fill my tank they claim they have too much pressure to fill my tank! Seems I have only a couple of options. I can rent a large tank but I have to fill it twice a year and I have a Hurricane diesel heater for hot water and heat along with my electric heater and I have a diesel genset so I rarely need propane. I have not added any for a year and a half. I only use propane for my range. I can use a small bottle with a extend a stay but I do not want to get moisture in my onboard propane tank. Can I turn the portable tank upside down higher than my onboard tank and refill it(like on the tailgate of my truck)? I do not want my onboard tank to get rusted out with no propane in it. (if you don't use it you lose it syndrome) or am I just a worry wart? We get alot of wind here too and do not want to take a chance of my propane bottle tipping over. My son has an extra 25 gallon tank but I do not want to keep it just refill from it. I could use some suggestions.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 03:28:03 AM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Refill or add Extend-A-Stay
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 09:00:56 PM »
Gary,
Why can't you drive the RV to the propane fill station at the park (or a nearby park if Winchester Bay doesn't have one)?
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 03:06:09 AM »
Would think after a year in one spot it would be time to fire her up and go for a drive and warm things up and get thing lubed after sitting for so long. Not good to let these things just sit and rust. Move the junk from around the coach and drive it to a refill propane site.

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 03:14:23 AM »
I agree with Lee, fire her up and get things lubed from sitting. By the way, the propane company is feeding you a line! After I retired I drove a propane truck in the winter for play money. We filled up RV's from the truck all the time. Marty
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 03:27:00 AM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 01:34:27 PM »
           Hi Gary,

I certainly understand the convenience of being set-up, but if you don't drive your wonderful coach you will experience other issues that will surpass your propane concerns, Regards Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 04:14:33 PM »
I certainly agree with Fred. I drive mine all the time and now I can't get it out of the CAT shop! So much for preventative maintenance.

I guess I should have left it alone, at least that's how I feel after 2 1/2 months of being gone.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl