Author Topic: Alaska 2017  (Read 7785 times)

Lawrence Tarnoff

Alaska 2017
« on: January 21, 2016, 06:21:46 PM »
Thinking about Alaska in summer 2017.  I've started to look at the caravan companies as I don't think I want to try it solo.  Any recommendations?  Any Beaver folks thinking about a trip there next year?  That would be a hell of a rally!

Larry

Mike Groves

Re: Alaska 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 06:58:54 PM »
I did order the travel guides when prompted by the FMCA letter.  So I have begun a thought process.

Mike

Mandy Canales

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 07:29:37 PM »
Larry and Mike...Violet and I took a group of 27 Beaver Coaches to Alaska for 45 days in 2006 and Roy and Vicki Warren took an equal group there in 2010 for 75 days.  Doing a small group of say 3 - 5 coaches would be an ideal size so you wouldn't have to do the significant planning for eateries, visitation sites, and campground reservations as we had to do.  I took a year and a half to plan our trip and still have the itinerary for our trip, but don't know about the Warren's itinerary.  Buying the Mile Post book is a must for anyone going there.  We used the book extensively every minute of our travels.  We'd be glad to share our thoughts with either of you if interested.  Violet and I have driven the route 2 x once in 1992 and in 2006.  The trip was unbelievable, interesting with outstanding views with photographic hi-lights.  if you are planning to go I'd suggest at starting date of June 1 and end about September 1 depending on the weather & snow.
Mandy Canales
90 Beaver Marquis 40'
Cat 3208
Charter Member
Apple Valley, CA

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 09:25:02 PM »
We are definitely going in 2017.  This year is our first opportunity after I retire in April, to travel.  We are going to the Grand Canyon and all the other Western sites.  I'm a little iffy about a Caravan and being locked in to someone else's schedule.  But then again, having some others around in case of problems might be nice.  Anyway we are going and are open.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Chuck Jackson

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 10:30:38 PM »
We are booked for the 60 Day Premier Alaska for June 2017.

http://fantasyrvtours.com/caravans/alaska/premier_alaska/premier_alaska.html#
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4328
2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat - Sold

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 09:33:48 PM »
If there are several BAC members who are going to Alaska about the same time and you do not want to go alone, you should get together and plan a trip together regardless of whether or not you do it as a BAC rally. You will find that your cost will be about 1/2 of what the big tour companies charge you for the same trip, especially if you stay in some of the city parks. When I was in Alaska, I found that I enjoyed the city parks at Homer, Seward, and Valdez more than any other location that we stayed, and they averaged about 1/3 of what other parks charged, but I do not mind dry camping like some others do. 

Gerald
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

BJ Sprague

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 02:34:23 AM »
For those doing their own Alaska trip planning - excellent planning reference books are:

Traveler's Guide to Alaskan Camping, by Mike and Terri Church.  Travel and RV park info begins with Dawson Creek, includes northern BC and Yukon, and all of Alaska.  RV park and campground information is updated every two years and features recommendations for big rigs, site lengths, hookup info, and general comments.  We know the authors.  They travel extensively in Alaska.

Pacific Northwest Camping Destinations, by Mike and Terri Church.  This book covers Washington, Oregon, British Columbia, and parts of Alberta.  Again, there is good info for big rigs. (Our Beaver Monterey is pictured on the cover.)

Both books are available through Amazon and are sometimes in stock at Barnes and Noble.  The authors' website is rollinghomes.com

Bill and I like the travel and touristing info in the books as well as the completeness of the campground info.  The books are great for trip planning.
We're currently planning 2016 and 2017 Canadian driving trips and hope to see you on the road!

Gary Carver

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 06:15:22 PM »
We went in 2010 i think and that is where i met Roy & Vickie ----the campgrounds are very short as they didnt have 40+ foot RV's then ----all the roadside turnouts will only hold about 3 rigs----we had 3 rigs on our trip and had no problem---made reservations for every night and were gone 76 days ----great trip---a tip the highway was built for delivering supplies to alaska during the war and now the USA gives Canada a couple million to maintain it each year so there is giong to be about 100 miles that is the ruffest road you will ever take your RV on---if they complete fixing it the good old USA might cut their funding so they will always have that portion to make you real mad----dont get mad just slow down and enjoy the cracks, potholes,and gravel ---the rest of the road will be great---have a great trip and i suggest only 3 go together