Author Topic: It Can Be Done-50 Inch swing Down TV Install  (Read 13519 times)

Doug Allman

Re: It Can Be Done-50 Inch swing Down TV Install
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2015, 11:32:39 AM »
ED and Lee I thank you for your input. I suspected it was a factory option but was curious. I am going to go with a manual swing up as the weight with the new TV is not as much a factor as with Plasma of old.
I believe I am going to use two door handles to do the latching by building the cabinet 2.5" wider than needed to be able to house a door handle in the same configuration as you would in a 1 3/4" thick door. Brand of the door handle (Baser) does not have a knob but a level that is fairly flush for opening. Going to use for bath door and tv cabinet latching.

I had a lever handle on bath door but with two 4 year old grandkids moving around in coach I did not like this lever sticking out right at their eye level. Changed to round handle for some better protection for them. Mark Bryant has changed in his Beaver to a Baser as it takes little room out into the walkway. Much better idea in my thought.

Thanks again.

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2015, 02:53:47 PM »
Doug,

Sounds like a great idea to go with the tried and true manual method, simple in most cases is better. I made a swivel hinge to mount the tv in the basement compartment. One thing I found out, the tv will not hang straight down because of the offset of the mount hinges and rear tv mounting so I used a bolt for the hinge pin with a lock nut and I can adjust the resistance by just snugging up the bolt. So I would suggest using long bolts as hinge pins and snug them up to a resistance and also keep them from rattling. One you latch side I would suggest a latch on each side to eliminate any chance of torquing of the tv while traveling and also better support.
Food for thought, look forward to see the finished product.

Edward Buker

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2015, 11:47:28 PM »
I agree with Lee, anything that is well built, simple by design, aesthetically pleasing, and easy to swing up and down manually is a winner. I think one of the better manual designs that I have seen on the forum was done by Steve Huber if I remember right. I cannot find the post. Maybe he can chime in for some ideas and a link.

Later Ed

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2015, 12:41:59 AM »
Ed, All,
My installation used simple hinges attached to a cherry strip that in turn was bolted to the Al square tubing running across the front above the windshield. I used brass barrel bolts to hold the box against the ceiling in travel mode. If I did it again, I'd probably try door latches or something like them as the barrel bolts could vibrate open when driving some of the less than smooth roads.
http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,3112.msg23345.html#msg23345
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp