Author Topic: Overheat issue continued!  (Read 14029 times)

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
Overheat issue continued!
« on: November 30, 2015, 07:58:18 PM »
Well, I just got a call from CAT Brooksville hoping the MH was finished today, been there since 30th of August.

Wednesday the foreman drove the coach after pulling the radiator loose and finding insulation and some debris at the bottom of the cowl sandwiched between CAC and radiator. He said 95% sure that's causing the overheat issue. Pulled out the junk and reinstalled it. Ran coach and temp was 200 degrees.

Said he wanted to keep it till Monday( today), ( 5 more days because of the holiday) and run it again to be sure. Now he states it is running hotter than before. wants to pull radiator out again and send to radiator shop. Said it will be next Monday before they get it to him and opened up. Another week to go now. Missed our trip for thanksgiving, Christmas trip the 19th not looking good now. Wish I had not taken it now and tried to do the work myself.

I have never had an overheat issue in the 4 years I have owned it, ever. Never been above 210 ever, and that was in the mountains of Tennessee in July!

Now since they worked on it they are guessing at stuff. I had a great opinion of their shop but now I am questioning it all!
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Overheat issue continued!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 08:47:17 PM »
Monte,
IMHO it's time to get out of there and find another shop.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: LaMonte Monnell

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 09:04:18 PM »
If I do that then I will have to pay enormous amounts of labor out to someone else. Just came from there. They are pulling the radiator out and sending to local shop, they are not open again till the 7th...vacation I guess???

First they said it was the debris they found and 95% sure causing the overheat. Then put it back together without pulling radiator out to shop. Then last Wednesday he drove it, 200 degrees....Today he says its 217........???

I am anxious to see the radiator opened up and if its clogged up badly........if it's not then they may have a lot bigger issue to fix at their expense........

Lamonte & Patti Monnell
CAT 3126B

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 10:07:01 PM »
LA Monte,
I understand. It could be a clogged radiator as the rear radiator design certainly lends itself to gathering debris and oil blowby, etc. I saw a 3126B radiator that had only about a 12" diameter area in front of the fan that was clear. The result was a blown engine. I cleaned mine after every long trip and had it steam cleaned about once a year.
What surprised me with your problem is the apparent sudden onset of the symptoms.
Good Luck!
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 02:22:07 AM »
LaMonte, My suggestion as before all flags point to your unit is not heating other than
people selling service. ( do not take me the wrong way but you need to remove it from
there shop.) It is put all together at present and drivable. I have presented before with
all indications direction they were going. Think I can pin point to fault with heat indicator
as I incated before. Reason Mechanic ran unit on test drive and heat 225 F but failed to bleed
air from engine head. Where the flag popped up you indicated there was no loss of coolant
and temp again 225 F. Next they stated Radiator limed up and heating problem ( temp different
between top and bottom of radiator ). That was there last story pull radiator and send out.
than comes along the radiator clogged with insulation. Here is the point between the radiator
 pulled and now radiator plugged with insulation. The really pugged up the radiator which
you said felt was the big problem. Again If this is there story told to you. Point to point out
to you in your favor, the engine is set up fan (charged air cooler radiator ) than the radiator.
with all the debris inbetween the charge air cooler and radiator ( debris stopping point ) let
look at the entry point the charged air cooler radiator that will catch first amount of insulation
being fan is pushing loose insulation into the charged air cooler and some made it way to radiator
core. Did they clean the charged air cooler radiator at same time because that is where the
most of the debris would plug first. Again every road we take is very hard to justify what they are
doing and heating problem going back to the begining was not present. I looked up your
problem on my Cat Tech information and things do not lean in what is going on. I myself would
suggest again remove your unit to a area away from that shop. I think we can round up some
fellow beaver members to jump in and I can provide all Cat tech Information off Cat SIS hard copy
and walk you through your difficult time that you do not need.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 03:14:48 PM »
Jerry Emert, Answering Question about heating. the thermostat opening for your
Cat C-12.  (  208 F  )

Full opening for Cat C-9   (  208 F  )  Begin to open thermostat  ( 191 F  )  This may shed some light
with LaMonte engine also.

Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 08:06:51 PM »
Dave, my engine runs at 188 no matter what.  I don't think I've ever seen it different after warm up.  It is the transmission that is running at 215 or so.  Or am I misunderstanding?
Thanks
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 09:30:01 PM »
This whole overheat problem just doesn't smell right. Are they positive that the motor is actually at that high a temp or are they just reading the sending unit temp? Did they use a laser temp device to actually check the motor temp, radiator temp, top and bottom hoses. You can laser the thermostat housing and actually see the thermostat open. Is the coolant pump actually moving the coolant? Sounds like they (shop) is just throwing parts and labor at this in the hope they actually land on the problem.
I would hope because this is a Cat dealer shop that they would know what they are doing, I looked up reviews for this shop and did not find any bad remarks.

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 09:48:19 PM »
This whole overheat problem just doesn't smell right. Are they positive that the motor is actually at that high a temp or are they just reading the sending unit temp? Did they use a laser temp device to actually check the motor temp, radiator temp, top and bottom hoses. You can laser the thermostat housing and actually see the thermostat open. Is the coolant pump actually moving the coolant? Sounds like they (shop) is just throwing parts and labor at this in the hope they actually land on the problem.
I would hope because this is a Cat dealer shop that they would know what they are doing, I looked up reviews for this shop and did not find any bad remarks.

Well Lee, they did pull the thermostats and rechecked them for opening. Also used the laser method on radiator and hooked up a gauge of theirs to check temps.

First time out it was 225......then they started pulling radiator, found the insulation debris in front of it. Then he said I am 95% sure this is the overheat reason, so I said ok, I guess put it back together. Then he ran it again....200 degrees....seems good he says....I agree...He wanted to wait till after the four day weekend and drive it again to be sure. He drove it and now 217 degrees.

Now he thinks the radiator core itself is clogged, going to pull it this week and take to radiator shop to open it. But they are closed till 7th...so we wait....

They said if radiator is not the issue then they will take care of removal and installation expense. And they are already a month past when I needed it back....

Never have I seen it above 210...and that was in Tennessee last July when it was 100 degrees out!

All they did was:
rear wheel bearing seals/both sides
thermostats
serpentine belt
water pump belt
new a/c compressor
receiver/dryer
section of a/c hose/leak replaced section of hose
replaced both high and low a/c ports/leaks

Lamonte & Patti Monnell
CAT 3126B

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 10:05:20 PM »
It just doesn't seem right that all this started after they did the work the first time. I remember a overheat issue once where a mech placed a shop rag in the upper rad hose to keep it from dripping and when he put it back together he didn't remove the rag and bingo washed in to the rad and overheat problem, they found it when they took the rad apart thinking of re coring it.
I had a tech leave a rag in the air intake on my 77 Freightline removing the rad cap and it got sucked into the air cleaner, had to jack up the cap and remove the air cleaner to get it out. I installed the gear upside down on a Chevy distributor and took awhile to figure out why it would not seat properly in the motor.
One little slip can cause so much work.

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 10:30:09 PM »
Well , I am hoping it is not a rag, but they are supposed to call me when the radiator guy opens it up for me to see  the core.

I have doubts that this is the issue, but I am kind of stuck here now. I just want it repaired so I can use it again..... >:(
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
CAT 3126B

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 11:34:44 PM »
I feel your pain, hope they actually find the problem.

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 11:58:03 PM »
Lee, I think many of us have the same thoughts, but we, at this point LaMonte is at there
little gig and Has spent many sleepless nights on this subject. This is why this beaver forum
is ever so important to make membership having problems with real cross of experience and
many different thoughts. Let give LaMonte our support like everyone is doing and how he can
get back on the road a minimal expence. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
The following users thanked this post: Karl Welhart, LaMonte Monnell

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 11:35:03 PM »
I feel your pain, hope they actually find the problem.

Update.....Radiator and CAC removed from coach, picked up by radiator shop this afternoon. He is going to call me once he gets it opened up to look at.

Service manager did allow me to enter the service bay. I spent the day removing the old insulation and replacing it all with new. I found one area that a rat or squirrel had dug thru some pressed board into the foam insulation. I am going to cut a new board and replace that tomorrow and finish up the engine bay areas. Get a look at the radiator and press on from there. They keep using a charger on my batteries as all they have is 110 outlets in there.

Hopefully we will be able to get to the next step soon as I am tired of the stress and aggravation to say the least! Thanks for all the support along the way, it has really helped me keep me from my boiling point!

Radiator out and at the radiator shop on 12-3. Went by there today 12-4  and they say that the radiator is fine, no sediment and only a small amount of outer corner areas that need cleaning. Did pressure check and very good. Not causing any overheat issue. I picked up the CAC and took there today 12-4, they are going to pressure wash and do an air leak test on it since it is already out  too. Probably be done with both by Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

CAT pulled the new thermostats back out this afternoon, not sure what they are going to do, haven't told me anything. At least the compartment is done now and ready to reinstall everything. Not sure what they have planned for the overheat condition now. The saga will continue next week....
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 02:23:29 AM by LaMonte Monnell »
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
CAT 3126B

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 06:00:51 PM »
LaMonte:
               I have been following your post on your issue and can understand your frustration. Going back to what they had originally worked on, did the Fan Belt get checked for Proper installation (path).  I know this might sound ridiculous, however, my first attempt at replacing my fan belt, I had routed it incorrectly using my memory. Once I compared it to my photo I took, my thoughts were, how could I mess this up. I never started the engine with the fan belt miss routed, so I don't know what the result would have been. What I do know, is that it was miss routed and it looked right but had a little too much slack to my liking so out came the photo.
                One more bit of info: I have used this Cat Company several times, and Every time, there was an issue. My trust with this particular Cat facility, (St Augustine & Daytona), has been diminished.

Larry D
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15