Author Topic: Replacment battery tray  (Read 5780 times)

Mike Stuart

Replacment battery tray
« on: November 30, 2015, 11:51:09 PM »
My Battery tray in my 02 Marquis is heavily corroded.  I will either need to rebuild it or replace it.  I don't know if replacing it is an option.  I called Monaco and they indicated it is probably a Kwikee tray.  I have researched their web site and can't find any mention of a replacement tray.  Has anyone ever located such a tray?   If so where?  I'm sure if I'm able to locate such an animal, it is going to be expensive, but getting a shop to repair my existing tray could be expensive as well.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Replacment battery tray
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 01:41:40 AM »
Mike, you might try NWRV salvage in Eugene Or.  Also there is Visone in Kentucky.  Both are on line.
Before that though you might take 50% simple green in a sprayer, soak the corosion.  Let it sit or a little  light scrub and hose it off.  This helped ours.  Didnt need a new one after all.

Our battery tender is next to the tray so I have to keep it dry. 

Hope this helps.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 07:16:31 AM »
A good machine shop can make you a new frame if you take them the original, and it may not cost as much as you'd expect.  But I've found that frames are often not as bad as they seem.  I've cleaned my current one up and painted the worst places with POR-15 black paint, which is nearly bullet proof when done correctly.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 02:39:11 PM »
Just because the tray looks over the hill doesn't mean it actually is. Remove the batteries and use a baking soda and water solution and water hose to completely clean the tray. Make sure you use plenty of water to wash off all the solution. Now you can make the call as to the condition of the actual try, if it still looks ok get some battery protection spray and coat everything and you should be good for awhile longer.

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 03:40:52 PM »
Just because the tray looks over the hill doesn't mean it actually is. Remove the batteries and use a baking soda and water solution and water hose to completely clean the tray. Make sure you use plenty of water to wash off all the solution. Now you can make the call as to the condition of the actual try, if it still looks ok get some battery protection spray and coat everything and you should be good for awhile longer.

If you decide to pull the batteries to clean the tray, be sure to mark all cables + and - and also take pictures or do a diagram as to which cables go where. You never need an issue with hooking up to the wrong posts and cause a major issue...... ;)
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

John Padmore

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 07:24:29 PM »
When I bought my coach one side of the tray was gone.  Corroded through and the batteries were held in place with a piece of wood. I took what was left to a local welder and he fabricated a new one which fit perfectly.. He charged me $300.Then I  painted with POR-15....better than new.  Yes take pictures of the wiring.  Good luck

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 09:41:51 PM »
Mike, On Lipperts web site they list all the Power Gear stuff and they have slide out battery trays. Looks a bit different from what I have but would work just fine.

https://www.lci1.com/support-power-gear-trays