Author Topic: Carry a spare tire?  (Read 9864 times)

Tic Wilson

Carry a spare tire?
« on: December 11, 2015, 07:30:16 PM »
Several years ago when we purchased our Beaver, the owner included a new spare tire (295/80 r22.5) mounted on a wheel.  The tire has never been on the ground, but we have carried it in the belly of the beast for the past 3 years.  I'm thinking it is time to leave it behind.  The prior owner said, if you are ever in Four Corners and need a tire, you will appreciate why you have this.
At this point, leaving 300 pounds behind sounds good to me.  Appreciate all feedback.  Thanks!

Chuck Jackson

• BAC Member
Re: Carry a spare tire?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 09:28:19 PM »
I carry a spare but only because I was able to pick up a brand new G670 for $50. If it's mounted on a wheel, doesn't that limit you to which position on the coach you can use it? I also carry mine on the front of our car hauler we use to tow our Jeep so storage space isn't really an issue.

When I get new tires, I plan on purchasing a spare then too. I'm not going to get the same $50 deal but if I do get a flat that cannot be fixed, at least I know I already have a matching tire.
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4328
2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat - Sold

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 10:39:08 PM »
If you have space to carry a spare, I could understand.  The front of your car hauler is great.  I wouldnt want to drag one out of a bay especialy with the wheel.
If a tire is totaled on the road, I could see problems.  I havent had that problem yet thank goodness.  Peace of mind is a good thing too but cost is an issue.  In a nut shell, unless I were spending alot of time in bad areas a spare is not for me.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Dick Simonis

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 11:05:02 PM »
I tend to agree with Kieth, tires are heavy and bulky plus I couldn't change one myself anyway.  With different wheels on the front and rear it would have to be unmounted so even if I had a problem there would be nothing I could do about except call Coach Net and get help.  Might as well buy one at that time and save the aggravation of hauling around something I may never need.

I've never had a flat on the road in anything for the last 6 decades so I guess I'm putting that into the less than 10% occurrence category.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 11:09:05 PM by Dick Simonis »

Phil N Barb Rodriguez

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 12:43:38 AM »
Here is a new toy if anyone has the itch for carrying a spare. Might be ok to have a spare for the road service guy.

http://roadmasterinc.com/products/spare_tire/index.html

Phil

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 01:17:49 AM »
Adding to what Keith and Dick are saying, is the idea that how are you going to crack loose even one of those lugnuts to change a wheel out?  As I recall they are necessarily torqued considerably higher than those on a car.  You'd have to haul along a 600 lb ft torque wrench and probably a leverage extension or torque multiplier;  as I recall the specs on our coaches is 450-475 lb ft.

By the time you put all that stuff and effort into it, and compromised storage space for years, you may as well have gone with a Coach-Net subscription.  Depends perhaps on where you may get stranded (like the AlCan or west Texas or 4 Corners or someplace) and how long you can tolerate waiting for help.

-Joel

Sounds like a nifty invention, Phil.  But then I have to buy a cover for the tire (a Roadmaster accessory no doubt), and cram the new device onto the hitch and extension with my existing Roadmaster devices... drag roller, anti-wobble clamps, and Guardian rockguard rack.  Whew.  It's already a bear getting under there to hook/unhook safety cables and breakaway cord.  :o  ;D
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 01:35:20 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Brown

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 02:18:08 AM »
We've carried a spare tire in our coach for many years, and have had need to utilize the spare on at least three different occasions.  On each occasion having our own mounted spare tire has made getting ourselves back on the road in a timely manner a much easier process.  We've been able to call Good Sam assistance, had a service truck dispatched to our location. All the service man needed was to be able to crank up his compressor, place his jacks, and remove/mount the tire needing changing.  We began carrying a mounted spare since we routinely travel the ALCAN to/from AK and the lower world, and obtaining a replacement tire/wheel on the highway can often be a real problem.  To date we have been fortunate and our tire failures have all been on interstate highways in the Northwest and not in the middle of no where.   Having my own spare tire available, if needed, is a bit of added insurance I hope to never need but will certainly be glad to have available if and when needed.     

Tic Wilson

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 02:45:10 PM »
Thanks to all who took the time to express their ideas and opinions.  We never planned to change tires ourselves, but to have one available in an emergency. We have roadside assistance, so tools were never a part of the equation.  The DOT label on the tire says it was made in 2008, so it is at the 7 year point where many recommend replacement regardless of how good the tire may look.
Thanks again folks!  Tic

Dick Simonis

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 03:24:17 PM »
We've carried a spare tire in our coach for many years, and have had need to utilize the spare on at least three different occasions.  On each occasion having our own mounted spare tire has made getting ourselves back on the road in a timely manner a much easier process.  We've been able to call Good Sam assistance, had a service truck dispatched to our location. All the service man needed was to be able to crank up his compressor, place his jacks, and remove/mount the tire needing changing.  We began carrying a mounted spare since we routinely travel the ALCAN to/from AK and the lower world, and obtaining a replacement tire/wheel on the highway can often be a real problem.  To date we have been fortunate and our tire failures have all been on interstate highways in the Northwest and not in the middle of no where.   Having my own spare tire available, if needed, is a bit of added insurance I hope to never need but will certainly be glad to have available if and when needed.     

How did you resolve which wheel on which to  mount the spare.  Seems like a 50/50 crapshoot to have the spare on the correct wheel when it's needed to be changed.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 03:30:31 PM »
It probably makes more sense to carry the naked tire.  The tire would fit on any rim if and when the need arises.  Given that most of us do not have the strength and tools to remove those tight lug nuts, we have to call upon a mobile tire repair truck anyhow.  And carrying, storing, lifting, etc., a naked tire would be much easier than one mounted on a rim.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Bill Brown

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2015, 03:33:40 PM »
Dick,

It's a mounted spare, and I carry it in my center bay on the sliding tray.  The spare rides in the center of the coach, along with the snow chains I never plan to use, but are often required to be carried while traveling in the Northwest. 

I hope that answers your question.

Bill

Dick Simonis

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2015, 04:05:48 PM »
Bill, I think my question is whether it's mounted on a front type wheel, an outside rear type wheel, or inside rear type wheel.  Since they have radically different offsets they're not interchangeable and it would seem you only have a one in three chance that a flat would cooperate with with your mounted spare.

Bill Brown

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2015, 11:30:10 PM »
Dick,  I guess I have just been lucky with which tires has been a problem.  All our failures to date has been a rear dual, and our spare has fit right on.  Soooo, maybe in that respect we were just lucky to have had the proper wheel. 
Bill