Author Topic: Looking for suggestions around San Antonio  (Read 7117 times)

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Looking for suggestions around San Antonio
« on: December 01, 2015, 06:57:12 PM »
So we will be departing here about mid December heading towards Austin/San Antonio.  At this time we are thinking about staying at Cabela's in Buda and using it to park a couple days while seeing Austin and San Antonio before moving on West on I-10.  Two questions: 1) what should we not miss seeing, and 2) is there a RV park or dry-camping spot better suited to our coach and budget for a week stay?  We can dry-camp for a couple weeks and have several times.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Mandy Canales

• BAC Member
Re: Looking for suggestions around San Antonio
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 08:19:17 PM »
David...If you contact Joe Hipp, he lives in San Antonio and could help you very well.  Enjoy
Mandy Canales
90 Beaver Marquis 40'
Cat 3208
Charter Member
Apple Valley, CA

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 11:02:42 PM »
David,
If you like BBQ, don't miss the Salt Lick located in Driftwood, about 1/2 way between Buda and Austin. The bats flying at sunset from beneath the Congress bridge in Austin are neat to watch. The TX capital is interesting. IMHO best time to visit is in the evening where one can wander around relatively freely (assuming they still leave it open). 6th Street is alway interesting with restaurants and music.  Fredericksburg TX, west of Austin is "toursity; but fun. The Nimitz museum is very good and if you like German food you'll be happy. On the way between Johnson City and Fredericksburg is the LBJ Ranch. Tours are very interesting and usually not real crowded. The area is TX wine country so many outlets and vineyards.
I'm not a San Antonio fans so can't help much there but Joe should be a wealth of info. Obviously the Alamo is a "must see".
Have fun!
Steve
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 11:07:08 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Jerald Cate

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 02:32:57 AM »
The river walk at night in San Antonio is very impressive with all the lights in the trees, especially this time of year.  There are a lot of good restaurants on the river walk also and it's close to the Alamo.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 06:55:06 AM »
David,
My favorite Mexican Food Restaurant in San Antonio is Mi Tierra on Produce Row at the Market Square. However, parking is limited, and there is usually a wait to get seated. They are open 24/7 365 (that right, they never close) and, I have had to wait for a table at 2 AM back in my single days. Yes, this restaurant has been in business that long (75 years).

Gerald     
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 02:25:56 PM by Gerald Farris »

Edward Buker

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 06:19:41 PM »
Freetail Microbrewery was a nice place also with good appetizers and craft beer. Another nice Mexican place is La Fonda on Main. Fish Tacos are excellent there, as was everything else, also great Margarita's.

About an hour north  out of San Antonio is the Nimitz museum and the National Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg. Excellent at detailing Nimitz's life and the Pacific naval campaign in WW2.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60956-d437259-Reviews-La_Fonda_on_Main-San_Antonio_Texas.html

http://www.pacificwarmuseum.org/

Later Ed

Bruce Sieloff

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 02:13:03 PM »
David, you didn't mention what your budget is but I can recommend Travelers World RV Park in San Antonio without reservation. They have several pull throughs in an easy access that can accomodate a 45 foot Marquis and a 26 foot cargo trailer. I know because that was the combination I put there. The location of the park is in a more rundown part of town but the park itself is a delight and the folks running the place make every effort to keep it clean and top notch. We found the group at the park friendly and welcoming, even for a transient like us, and I would have signed up for a month except the monthly/fulltime/snowbird spots are all 40 foot back ins (although there are several I could have squeezed into although they were taken). On a weekly basis they are $42 a night and $47 daily. It was steeper than we like, but you are very close to downtown and the missions, public transit is possible and the river walk park (the river walk downtown is 5 miles away but you can rent a bicycle in 30 minute stretches to bike there and back) and the wide sites and spacing in such a compact space make it a special consideration. I'd stay there again, for $500 a month it is a screaming deal. Make sure you get directions for big rig access to the park, your GPS WILL try to high center you on some railroad tracks on E Southcross and there is an 11' bridge north of the park that is to be avoided. Coming in from the south on 37 will get you there fine.