Author Topic: Hot Water Thermostat  (Read 3028 times)

Ron Johnson

Hot Water Thermostat
« on: December 11, 2015, 12:45:04 AM »
I have a Hurricane Diesel Heater in my Coach. I currently am parked where the temperature is 25F or so at night so the Hurricane Furnace switch is on which means that whenever a thermostat calls for heat the furnace ignites. I have turned the hot water heater [electric] off and would like to switch the Hurricane hot water heating thermostat off at night and then on again in the morning. Has anyone out there with approximately the same setup ever done this?? To be clear, I want to be able to switch the thermostat for the hot water off so it does not 'call' for the furnace to come on.

Thank you for any advice on this matter.

Grant Ralston

Re: Hot Water Thermostat
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 03:02:17 AM »
Ron,
There have been times that I wanted to have the Hurricane available to heat the coach if it gets too cold, but not cycle to keep the domestic water hot.  In this way the thermostat in the bay or the thermostats in the coach will call for heat and the Hurricane will respond, otherwise it will stay quiet and not disturb campers nearby.  For our 1998 coach, I disconnected one of the two wires leading to the aquastat on the piping and wrapped tape around it.  In the morning, I reconnected and all systems return to normal operation.   Hope this helps.

Grant

Dick Simonis

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 02:28:24 PM »
Ron, the easy way to do that is to unplug one of the wires on the HW heater aquastat.  Easy and will disable that function.

Dick

Joel Weiss

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 05:47:47 PM »
When Jim Rixen installed his Comfort Hot in my Hurricane the switch that enabled circulation of fluid through the engine while driving was no longer needed.  Jim relabeled and reconnected that switch so it does exactly what the OP wants; it controls the hot water aquastat and I can decide if I want the Hurricane to respond to water heater demands.  As Dick suggested you can achieve the same result by unplugging one of the wires going to the Aquastat but this is a bit classier.

Ron Johnson

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 08:11:08 PM »
Thank you all for your replies - I will disconnect one of the aquastat wires today and go from there. The Comfort Hot is a solution I would like  - maybe later this year. Depending on where we are parked we augment our diesel heating with a radiant heater. Thank you all again.