Author Topic: Onan Cummins 10 KW Quiet Diesel Generator  (Read 16701 times)

Edward Buker

Re: Onan Cummins 10 KW Quiet Diesel Generator
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2015, 01:32:42 AM »
Jeremy,

Be careful with weight distribution in moving the generator to the front of the front axle. Many of these coaches were at their limits. It seems like a lot of money and change for access.

Later Ed

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2015, 02:24:30 AM »
Late reply.  Ed, you are right.  With the generator in front of the axle it adds more weight by leverage than the 700lbs  the generator weighs.  Indian River RV in Sebastian Fl.  had my side mounted generator out on a hydraulic cradle  in about 1 hour. 
  They allow 2 1/2 hours for the R&R. 
 I reckon I could rent the hydraulic cradle and easily do this job myself next time.  I asked them to install a new fan belt and check the sensors.  Hopefully it will go another um....16 years without any attention...lol !!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 03:03:44 PM by Jeremy Parrett »

Gerald Farris

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2015, 02:31:41 PM »
Jeremy,
You will probably find that relocating the generator to the front of the coach is much more expense than it is worth. The dash A/C condenser is located where you intend to install the generator, so it would have to be relocated, and a support structure would have to be fabricated to support the generator from the frame. Several air lines would have to be rerouted and the leveling system air compressor would have to be moved if your coach is so equipped. The fuel tank may or may not clear, and of course the fiberglass and paint work that would be required.

Gerald   
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2015, 04:39:50 AM »
Gerald,
 you are absolutely correct.   Knowing the generator weight by leverage will be more than the 700lbs it actually weighs if suspended in front of the axle convinces me that it is better located where it is, near the middle of the coach well behind the front axle.
  I am also persuaded that this location ,even on more modern coaches is better  because of the stress it causes on the chassis and front cap. 
  Just thinking out loud.
 Indian River RV showed me how easy it is to R&R the generator from it side mount location.

Edward Buker

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2015, 03:16:39 PM »
Jeremy,

It may not be inconceivable to have the current design modified so that it could move on a built in roller arrangement by modifying the current mounting system design. If the front of the genset had several made up bolt on large caster roller feet that would handle the genset weight as part of the design it would keep the roller frame from having to be overly robust. I have never looked at this issue with the thought of modifying what we have, but if you are one to want to make change, this is an area that may benefit from some creative thinking. There are some talented local welding shops out there that go beyond just making repairs. I would guess what we pay for a few genset removals and returns may pay for some modified system that makes the existing mount more accessible.
This company has slides rated at over 1000 lbs that are not that expensive. They can be custom designed and made.

http://www.slide-master.com/products/180-cargoslide

Might be a good forum subject to kick around a bit.

Later Ed

The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2015, 11:25:15 PM »
Ed,
  that is the way I am thinking.  The access door comes off easily.  The lower frame rail unbolts.  There is about 16th of an inch clearance either side for the removal straight out sideways.  Connections are exhaust, power cables ,fuel lines and remote multi plug. I am sure a tray extension can be installed as long as the generator mount height remains the same.  The tray  might  need some form of support when extended  fully.   
 http://www.slide-master.com/products/180-cargoslide         The SM3-SP  100% extension would be perfect.
 The biggest issue is the top access in its present location .  Even  a means of lowering the generator 12 inches so you can get over the top   would be a huge help.  Some kind of hydraulic lift with a flexible exhaust connection maybe.
  Just sayin.......
 Indian River RV in Sebastian.  Fl  did us proud.   When I climbed aboard to move out of their yard I noticed the dash a/c was running COLD.  It  hasn't worked in 3 years . I am wondering how that happened ????   Christmas miracle  maybe ???
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 12:31:31 AM by Jeremy Parrett »