Author Topic: Battery condition  (Read 6186 times)

Les Marzec

Battery condition
« on: July 01, 2011, 03:27:12 AM »
I am dry camping, and not used much power today.  My Trace monitor read 100% Full charge and the inverter is off.  I ran the generator to cook some dinner, and I noticed that the monitor, with the generator running, now reads 87% of charge and it is in the absorption charge mode.  

I have since turned the generator off, and looked at the monitor about 10 minutes later and it shows 100% of charge.

Is anyone else having this erratic behavior, is this normal? I like battery gauges and just don't feel that I can rely on the Trace monitor.

I replaced all four coach batteries about a month ago.  This same behavior occurred with the older batteries.  The batteries were OK, just old and I did not feel comfortable with them on the road trips.

Thanks

« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 05:34:31 AM by 14 »

George Harwell

Re: Battery condition
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 04:59:22 PM »

Lester, the Trace monitors can drive you to drinking. My coach was struck by lightening around 5 years ago so I had to replace the inverter. With the new inverter the monitor would show 67% with everything shut down. Turn on the inverter and the monitor would slowly climb to 100%. Experts at xantrex gave me a new monitor panel and there was no change. They finally got tired of my calls and informed me that it would correct itself  eventually. I'm still waiting. Changed to Lifeline batterys last year and it indicates 73% instead of 67%. Go figure. I rely on the VCM for more accurate information.

Les Marzec

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 06:33:44 PM »
George

Thanks for the reply.  I guess I wont let it bother me.  Yeah, it is all over the place like you said.  

Sounds like the system just ages, unlike fine wine or scotch, for the worse.

Les

Butch Martin

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 01:01:04 AM »
Les

My coach system does the same thing.  I assume its normal behavior.  I would not worry about it.  I dry camped for a week at Diamond Lake and it appeared to be normal behavior to me.

Les Marzec

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 03:55:11 AM »
Butch

Thanks for the info.  Yeah, I just gave up trying to figure it out.  

How was the fishin?

I am still trying to get up that way soon.  Are you going to the Good Sam convention in Redmond?

Butch Martin

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 03:36:56 AM »
Les

Beautiful Camping, lousy fishing....
Wheat harvest is gonna keep us from Redmond, work sucks sometimes :)

Family of a Farm Lease tenant is borrowing our Beaver in Bend for a couple of weeks so we are grounded, then the coach goes to Bend Beaver for repairs....

Butch