Author Topic: Exceptionally bright LED for taillight/turn signal  (Read 3463 times)

Joel Weiss

Exceptionally bright LED for taillight/turn signal
« on: December 19, 2015, 06:53:42 PM »
Lots of us probably have taillights/turn signals that use a standard 1157 two-filament bulb.  I had installed LEDs a couple of years ago but the technology has evolved dramatically since then.  I just replaced the LEDs I had with these: https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1157-led-bulb-dual-function-28-smd-led-tower-bay15d-retrofit-car/1644/4167/#/tab/Overview  As suggested I purchased them in red and in that configuration they are rated at 154 lumens for the brighter filament (the brake light).  Even though an 1157 is rated at >400 lumens that is a total over all wavelengths.  Since the red taillight lens will only transmit the red portion of the 1157's output, the useful light output is much, much less than the total.

All I can say is that these new ones are gorgeous and are very visible even in bright sunlight.  They are on the long side and on the driver's side I could just manage to get it through the hole given the other obstructions behind the light fixture.  Sure, they aren't cheap, but they're a big improvement and should never burn out.
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson, Robert Fish

john brunson

Re: Exceptionally bright LED for taillight/turn signal
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 10:18:09 PM »
Joel,

Did you have to install a loading resistor to make the flasher work?

Joel Weiss

Re: Exceptionally bright LED for taillight/turn signal
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 02:58:13 PM »
Joel,

Did you have to install a loading resistor to make the flasher work?

No, the existing flasher worked fine.  As I said, I had installed LEDs in these locations several years ago without difficulty.  Therefore, I didn't expect that these new lights were going to cause me any problems.