Author Topic: Cold Engine Start  (Read 12097 times)

George H. Wall

Re: Cold Engine Start
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2015, 05:01:17 PM »
Possible fuel gelling??????

Ron Johnson

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2015, 02:14:38 PM »
This year I have been pretty consistent about adding additives when I fuel so gelling, etc. I don't believe has been an issue. I finally got the engine going yesterday with the engine cranking and sputtering for a minute [seemed longer] before it finally caught and smoothed out. The hurricane had been going for 4 hours .. don't know if it helped or not. In the meantime I'll keep looking for a block heater. Thanks again for everyone's help on this issue.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2015, 03:02:09 PM »
Joel,
The "preheat" light that Larry was referring to is an indicator for the intake air heater located in the intake manifold on his 3126 engine (a feature that does not exist on the C 12), and not a glow plug indicator.

The best way that I have found to preheat a C 12 in a 2000 PT is to turn on the Hurricane, the Preheat switch, and set the thermostat in one zone of the coach (preferably bathroom for me) high enough to keep the Hurricane circulation pump running. You can turn on the key occasionally to check the engine coolant temperature on your Silverleaf to verify the engine coolant temperature increase.

Gerald   
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2015, 03:33:06 PM »
Ron, You C-12 should start in the temperature your posting. Gerald is correct there is no intake
Heater or glow plugs for starting aid on the caterpillar side of your problem. I would suggest
While engine is turning over what is your smoke doing coming from exhaust in back. Hard to
believe fuel jell but anything is possible. Still feel you are not getting fuel and have fuel bleed off.
The C-12, if fuel is getting to the injectors the motor will start. There is a air bleed screw at
Secondary fuel filter base, open bleed screw than turn engine over. Again if there no smoke at engine cranking your not getting any fuel. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Ron Johnson

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2015, 07:58:21 PM »
Thanks again - Dave I was getting lots of white smoke while cranking a little after 'til it warmed up. Gerald, at the next opportunity I'll try your suggested warm-up procedure. We're at the shop in Santa Fe so all is good for now. Happy New Years' to all - guess we'll be spending it on the road so better get some supplies.