Author Topic: Driving lights  (Read 8761 times)

Jeremy Parrett

Driving lights
« on: January 08, 2016, 02:35:55 AM »
My passenger side driving/fog light fell off today somewhere between Sonora TX and Lordsburg NM.   Its probably a "Gonner" !!
  Does anyone know of a good reasonably priced replacement with suitable bracket ?

Steve Jewell

Re: Driving lights
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 03:51:38 AM »
Jeremy,   Those fog lights fit a 1998 to 2002 Lincoln Navigator. You will need to make a bracket for it. There are a bunch of them on eBay. You may want to upgrade to projector lamps. Much better light.

Good luck
Steve J

Joel Weiss

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 08:13:10 PM »
Jeremy,   Those fog lights fit a 1998 to 2002 Lincoln Navigator. You will need to make a bracket for it. There are a bunch of them on eBay. You may want to upgrade to projector lamps. Much better light.

Good luck
Steve J

Steve:

Do you know if the ones for the Patriot and Thunders from  2000 would be the same?  Mine didn't fall out, just has a busted lens so replacement doesn't require making a new bracket.

Joel

Steve Jewell

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 02:42:15 AM »
Joel,

Yes they will be the same.

Steve J

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 03:53:42 AM »
Thanks for all the advice.  I bought a pair of Halogen driving lights on EBay.  I will have to  fabricate brackets for them.
Now I find my headlights don't work on  low beam. They   only work on high beams !!!   Could the missing driving light affect the low beam circuit ??

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 04:23:16 AM »
Jeremy,
The missing driving light should have no effect on your low beam headlights.

The first place to check for power to the headlights is in the LF electrical bay. If you have power there, check for power at the headlights themselves. You may have a bad switch, bad circuit breaker, bad connection, or just two bad blubs. I have seen two bad blubs many times. One blub can go bad and it is not noticed until the second one fails. Then a lot of people will not check the blub because they think that both blubs will not fail at the same time.

Gerald

Joel Weiss

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 02:06:57 PM »
Joel,

Steve J

Thanks

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 09:10:55 PM »
Gerald,
  maybe someone can check things out for us at Quartzsite ??  I am thinking the driving lights only work when headlights are on low beam.  That from my Beaver manual.   So.... it might be that the circuit was compromised when the driving light bracket failed and ripped out the connector. Perhaps the low beam circuit is in series with the driving light circuit ??
  Have packages for you from Steve Huber.

Joe Magie

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 02:08:23 AM »
Gerald,
I just went through that "driving light" issue.  I thought mine were broken because I couldn't get them to light.  I found out that in my coach (1992 Beaver Marquis), the driving light are tied to the high beam light circuit and only work when your headlights are on high beam.  I'm new to this coach and I keep finding things I think are broken and find out I'm just not doing it right.  Joe

Joel Weiss

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 11:12:29 PM »

Actually, they don't appear to be the same.  I got underneath and pulled one out.  It's just a 4" "universal" style light.  I'm going to order a set of Hella lights from Amazon that appear as if they will fit in the existing brackets without any modification. I'll post if it works out.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 08:14:50 PM »

Actually, they don't appear to be the same.  I got underneath and pulled one out.  It's just a 4" "universal" style light.  I'm going to order a set of Hella lights from Amazon that appear as if they will fit in the existing brackets without any modification. I'll post if it works out.

For anyone with a 2000-era SMC Patriot or Patriot Thunder these fog lights fit almost perfectly into the existing brackets: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KIH97E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

Even though they are oval and slightly wider than the holes in the bumper, the Beaver's mounts were designed so that the lights are positioned behind the bumper so being slightly wider isn't an issue.  They were the only lights I could find that fit the mounts without any modification.  Before installing I covered the lenses with headlight protective film in an effort to reduce the likelihood of rock damage.  They have standard ~50W halogen bubs; when they burn out I'll replace them with LEDs but I didn't see a need to do that until then.