Author Topic: Faulty "Salesman Switch" relay??  (Read 14660 times)

Joel Weiss

Re: Faulty "Salesman Switch" relay??
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 01:47:40 AM »
Ed:

If the 12V devices in the coach are seeing voltage significantly ABOVE that displayed on the CMP then I can't think of any explanation other than the fact that the CMP is wrong especially when the voltage I'm measuring at light fixtures is roughly the same as the Magnum inverter is reporting.  These are lights that are among the many things that are turned off by the salesman's relay.  Therefore, they're seeing the same voltage as the CMP is seeing.

I think Steve's suggestion to check the connections at the CMP itself makes a lot of sense.  It's possible that a slightly bad connection gets  temporarily "better" when the switch is turned off and then back on again.  The same kind of "corrosion" that could affect relay contacts could also build up on a terminal of any other device.  We're only talking about <1V in voltage drop so a connection might be "almost Ok."

Joel

Joel

Edward Buker

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2016, 01:51:18 PM »
Joel,

Assume for a moment that there are two legs coming off the salesman switch, one to the lights and one to another load that has some current draw on it going somewhere, say the circuit board in the fridge and the solenoid valve safety device for the propane system and that is the CMP sense line. In theory you are right that there can be just one voltage on the output side of the relay and if you have no load on the light circuit and measured it, it would read the same as the relay terminal. If there was load on the other circuit that the CMP measurement point would see then it would have a lower voltage at its measurement point. It is hard to diagnose compare the two voltage wise without knowing the loads. The issue that adds some "fog" to this is that the CMP readings change as you reset the relay and seem to recover and I see no way that the wiring path to the CMP would coincidently heal itself for a resistive wiring path issue going to the CMP because of resetting the relay. There is no doubt that the hand held voltmeter reading coinciding with the inverter panel is incorrect. Just not clear how resetting the relay can cause the CMP to recover. It is probably not worth a lot more effort on this.

The voltage supply line that is the sense line for the CMP is probably what supplies the unit 12V in the cabinet. You could find that and measure that point with your voltmeter and see what the voltage difference is between the two and have your answer as to the accuracy of the CMP and what voltage the line is seeing with relay resets.

Later Ed

Joel Weiss

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2016, 04:06:21 PM »

I think Steve's suggestion to check the connections at the CMP itself makes a lot of sense.  It's possible that a slightly bad connection gets  temporarily "better" when the switch is turned off and then back on again.  The same kind of "corrosion" that could affect relay contacts could also build up on a terminal of any other device.  We're only talking about <1V in voltage drop so a connection might be "almost Ok."

Steve gets the prize for the correct answer!  I removed the CMP from the cabinet this morning, "pushed" all the wire connections to ensure that they were in tightly and Voila!  it now works perfectly.  House battery voltage displayed on the CMP is within 0.1V of the Magnums's display.

Thanks to Steve and Ed for helping me puzzle this out!

Joel

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 02:21:51 AM »
Joel,
Glad you found it. One less item on the fix it list...
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gerald Farris

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 04:20:59 AM »
Joel,
The large solenoid in your battery bay should be the boost solenoid, and the salesman's switch solenoid is normally the size of the old Ford starter solenoid.

Gerald 

Edward Buker

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2016, 01:15:11 PM »
Joel,

Glad it is fixed.... The mysteries of poor contacts and where they lie is a lot like where did I leave my car keys? You know they are out there somewhere....Steve, good sleuthing :-)

Later Ed