Author Topic: Which portable surge protector?  (Read 5480 times)

Lawrence Tarnoff

Which portable surge protector?
« on: January 25, 2016, 11:35:33 PM »
There's a pretty big cost delta between the Surge Guard and Progressive Industries portable surge protectors.  I've looked at these:

Surge Guard 34850: http://trci.net/products/surge-guard-rv/hardwires-portables/50a-portable-w-lcd-display -- $355 on Amazon

Progressive SSP-50XL: http://www.progressiveindustries.net/#!ssp-50xl/csyx -- $138 on Amazon

I don't want to be penny-wise on this investment, but will the Progressive adequately protect our coach?  Or, does the Surge Guard offer more protection?

Thanks,

Larry

LEAH DRAPER

Re: Which portable surge protector?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 11:52:30 PM »
It doesn't appear to me that joule protect is the same, but I'm a novice/owner.
Also prices at Camping World are less, particularly if not hardwired.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 12:21:58 AM »
We have used PI for several years and on two coaches.  Power outages, surges, spikes and bad power seem to be no problem.
we have the 50 amp and use an adapter when necessary and still no problem.
Good investment for the $100 we paid.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

William Jordan

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 03:16:16 AM »
  It's kind of an apples to oranges comparison. Progressive also makes a more expensive model that does the same thing ( and more imo ) as the expensive surg guard.  the lower-priced progressive is basically just a surge protector.  The more expensive one automatically covers and protects many more things , read the specification differences.
In my opinion progressive stands behind their product better. Just compare the 350$ Surg guard  with the 350$ progressive
EMSPT50c is a comparable model
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 03:24:52 AM by William Jordan »

Dick Simonis

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 02:18:58 PM »
After comparing most of the ones on the market I just bought the progressive model from Tweetys for ~319.00.  I would have preferred the built in model but room for mounting was an issue I wasn't willing to undertake at the moment.  If I change my mind these sell on Ebay for around $260 so it wouldn't be a big loss to change in the future and I wanted protection right now.

It's a bit larger and heavier than I had thought but OK and the display info is nice.