Author Topic: Front suspension creaking !!  (Read 10462 times)

Jeremy Parrett

Front suspension creaking !!
« on: January 19, 2016, 05:45:49 AM »
Just started this quite loud squeaking from the front end.
   The chassis was greased about 5000 miles ago.
  What is the most likely cause of this annoying creaking sound ??

Gerald Farris

Re: Front suspension creaking !!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 09:57:34 PM »
Jeremy,
There are no common issues with the 2000 Marquis front suspension that would account for the noise that you described. If the noise can be duplicated by raising and lowering the front air suspension, it should be fairly easy to locate (possibly a shock or bushing), but if not you will just have to search until you locate it.

Gerald

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 01:40:04 AM »
  Gerald,
   Thank you for your advise.  We are taking the coach to South Coast RV in Chula Vista CA for a full chassis lube and C12 oil and filter change.  Hopefully we can isolate this noise and fix it.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 01:26:36 PM »
Jeremy,
Be sure to caution them not to grease the brake calipers with chassis grease. In fact, I recommend that coach owners with Meritor ADB brakes who have their coaches commercially serviced at oil change and lube shops should remove the grease fitting from their calipers and install plugs. This practice will make caliper service a little more involved, but it will prevent a lube shop from ruining your brakes with too much of the wrong grease.

Gerald 

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 01:49:58 AM »
Gerald,
  I will be under the coach with the tech to see what is needed to purge the bad grease from the calipers and replace it with the clay based grease.    I will print off the Meritor ADB section and we will follow the instructions to the letter.   

Allen Hughes

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 08:56:49 PM »
Not sure if your front suspension is the same as our 2006 Patriot Thunder, but we had a front end noise and BSC solved it. It was coming from some play in the stabilizing bars. They put thicker washers on the bushing ends and tightened them down and the noise has not returned. This may or may not be your issue.

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 05:50:45 AM »
South Coast RV . Chula Vista. CA serviced my coach today.  C12 oil and filter,chassis lube and welded the PS front mud flap bracket that had broken (probably caused by the PS driving light bouncing against it as it bounded down the road )
  They had no luck accessing the drive axle brake caliper grease nipples . I still need  the clay based grease procedure done.  I was rather annoyed that they wasted hours of labor to finally give up ;  thinking they had never worked on ADB systems before and should not have accepted the job.  Live and learn eh !!   
 They installed a new Gates green serpentine belt ( I provided) and checked out the air  suspension and front end components to find no leaks and no creaks.    For $860 and change I feel I did not get fair service and will not use South Coast RV in Chula Vista .CA again,  and the front suspension still "creaks" !!

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 02:23:04 PM »
Be sure to do a review on rvservicereviews.com for everyone's reference.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 05:25:01 PM »
LaMonte,
I also captured the info in RV Service Providers at http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,5250.msg39315.html#msg39315
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 12:05:23 AM »
Jeremy, just my opinion, do not take your coach to a RV dealer for engine or other chassis related issues.  Truck dealers are your best option with these type repairs and adjustments.  From my experience the rear calipers will require you to remove the rear wheels to get grease into the calipers.  The front are accessible without removal.  The truck dealers are used to doing the work and have the tools to get it done.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 01:55:14 AM »
It's a long way to go for just the squeak now, Jeremy, but if you plan a trip north this summer at all, I doubt you'd come away from Henderson's in Grants Pass without it fixed.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 04:50:34 AM »
Tom and Joel,
  thanks for the advice.  It seems the creaking will endure.  Maybe a savvy mechanic in the Baja will be able to fix it.  We are heading south on Friday.  The disc brakes are working well .  Maybe I will wait till  we get back to the US in March to find a truck shop to have the calipers done.