Author Topic: Solenoid Valve for hydraulic slide  (Read 27945 times)

Dale Walker

Re: Solenoid Valve for hydraulic slide
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2015, 08:12:02 PM »
Roy, while reading your posts, I had an idea that flashed through my head, when you re-route the hose, suppose you put a loop in it? A loop would/could act like a check valve but not with the quite the same effect? In reading your post, I had a problem filling the coach from the passenger side, I think, it's possible the vent hose could be my problem also.

Dale

Roy Deeble

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2015, 09:33:37 PM »
Dale,

Appreciate your thought about looping the vent hose which I think would work well if the top of loop is above fuel level in the fill hoses.  Since I don't think siphoning will be an issue as long the end of the vent hose has a short turndown and I probably won't need the loop. 

I agree a restricted vent could cause fueling problems once the tank fill level is above the fill hose level at the tank, perhaps the final 30 plus gallons.  Worth a look and good luck.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2015, 12:01:10 PM »
Not all coaches have the same fuel tank vent system, so no single answer pertains to all coaches. There have been many design changes over the years of production, but most coaches use a vent hose with a specially designed check valve at the end of the hose that has a float in it. The check valve will readily pass air, but if liquid fuel reaches the valve, the float rises and blocks the hose to prevent a leak. This type vent system only works as designed if the valve is in the upright position. So if your vent valve is dirty, missing, or miss positioned you can have fueling problems or a vent leak.     

Also most coaches only have one vent, so if your coach is harder to fuel from one side than the other, the problem is in the long fuel fill hose. On many coaches, especially in the SMC era, the fill hoses have several restrictive bends and they enter the tank at a low position so a slow fueling rate is unavoidable.

Gerald
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Stan Simpson

Roy Deeble

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2015, 04:20:25 AM »
Gerald,

Thanks for expanding on this fuel vent issue.  Apparently my 2005 Monterey did not come with a check valve, just an open hose hanging down from the top of the tank.  A couple of later model Monterey owners on RV.net confirmed the same arrangement.  I think my solution will work for my coach.  I don't know what model coach Dale Walker has, and since he implied only his passenger side fill port was slow I suspect your explanation is correct.

Now for the slide solenoid leak that doesn't leak.  Sure enough Joel Ashley was right about the leak source.  Turns out the leak is diesel fuel coming from this vent hose, which I had temporarily shoved on to the top of tank thinking it might have been siphoning.  Well today I overfilled the fuel tank again (OMG) and discovered the excess fuel now runs off the tank top and travels down the coach framework directly to the slide hydraulic pump area.  Now I am having a heck of time locating the hose, hindered by extremely tight space at the top of the tank; tried a coat hanger to no avail.  Fired the Cat up, put on fast idle, charged the batteries and burned excess fuel.  Until I get this vent issue resolved I'll be carrying a fuel tank and a siphoning hose cause I'm really tied of the mess. 

Well believe it or not I have had some successes.  I installed a 16" electric fan on the AC condenser, works great, psi was well over 300 and hot until until hydraulic fan kicked on.  Added LED TV's front and rear with a sound bar system, replaced the old microwave/convection oven, mounted my old RF Mogul satellite and replaced it with the Eagle upgrade, replaced headlights with Mueller modification and replaced all marker and tail light lens.  Many thanks to all this forums contributors and perhaps I'll get to meet some of you at a rally soon.  2016 will be our 44th year of continuous motorhome ownership, but this Beaver continues to be a fun and trying challenge for my fading brain.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2015, 10:02:13 PM »
Gerald, isn't the valve you refer to as "at the end of the hose" actually at the tank end of the hose where it can be configured in an upright position, or am I thinking wrong?  That would explain why Roy isn't finding one at the free end he tucked away.  His symptoms would imply the valve's float may be stuck open (isn't floating up).  Unfortunately it probably means the repair will require emptying and dropping the tank.

Roy, though I initially thought my oily spray and puddle were from the hose, it was actually from a loose genset oil filter.  Just points up how tricky it can be to identify a leak source when highway wind spreads the evidence around.

Joel
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 10:06:46 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2016, 02:47:41 PM »
Joel,
No, the valve is normally at the outer end of the vent hose, and therefore the need to keep it upright for best results to prevent leaks from the vent. On a lot of coaches, there is not enough room between the top of the tank and the coach floor to install a vent check valve upright. However, anything that would prevent siphoning or draining fuel through the vent hose without restricting the venting process will work fine. You can lengthen the vent hose to terminate it high enough above the tank, reroute it as necessary, or stop squeezing every drop of fuel in the tank and leave a small air pocket in the tank when fueling.

Gerald
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Paul Champagne

• BAC Member
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2016, 03:10:10 AM »
Question I had the 2 front solenoids replaced on my 06 Thunder last year now the tank which feeds the solenoids has developed a stress crack and is leaking is it possible  to get a replacement tank as the way Beaver mounted the tank it has no physical support and it is hanging on by the solenoids, Now the generator comes out about an inch after a day or two.
2006 Patriot Thunder
C13 525 hp

Gerald Farris

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2016, 04:14:16 AM »
Paul,
I am not sure about the availability  your reservoir, but I believe that the hydraulic pump and reservoir assembly on a 06 Thunder are from HWH. If so, I would just call technical support at HWH to find the availability of the reservoir and any seals or O-rings needed for it's replacement.

Gerald
The following users thanked this post: Paul Champagne

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2016, 03:24:53 PM »
With my 06 PT the tank is mounted to the flat plate and the manifold and motor are mounted to it, if you can get HWH to ever call you back you might be able to get a new tank. Another option would be to remove the unit and have a welding shop weld up the one you have. With the gen slide when you bring it in bump the switch in and out a couple of times, seems to work keeping the slide in.