Author Topic: Dexron III hydraulic fluid leaks in jack systems.  (Read 5545 times)

Roland DuBree

Dexron III hydraulic fluid leaks in jack systems.
« on: February 19, 2016, 06:43:46 PM »
Any one have any luck stopping leaks in the hydraulic jack system with something like a Power Steering Leak Sealer?  What make product was best?

Gerald Farris

Re: Dexron III hydraulic fluid leaks in jack systems.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 03:14:27 PM »
Roland,
There is no type of "stop leak" that will repair the average leak in your hydraulic jack system. Where is the leak located?

Gerald

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 04:22:05 PM »
Roland,
If you have a hydraulic line leak or a fitting leaking it can be replaced. As far as the jacks themselves BCS can now rebuild these jacks with new seals for internal leaks but at a hefty price. New jacks are pretty much none existent to find. I had my IDS hydraulic jack system removed and HWH installed a whole new air system and compressor for me a couple of years ago. I had a massive leak in my left rear jack and at that time BCS did not have the ability to rebuild them. I still have the two front useable jacks for sale, I sold the one good rear one and the control pad to other Beaver owners.

I still use the hydraulic reservoir for the living room slide out operation, and all the lines for jacks are still there but capped off.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Roland DuBree

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 05:25:06 PM »
I'm not sure Steering fluid leak sealer would not work and wondered if anyone had tried it and found the right product.  My reason being I had a rear jack repaired and re-installed - EXPENSIVE!  Now another is starting to leak at the seal. Motor home manufacturers install Dexron III in jack systems. However, I have been told the better fluid for RV jack systems is Power Steering Fluid. The formula has a number of ingredients to absorb water, anti-rust preventative, and superior lubricant ability.  The normal life of jack seals is 10+ years and after that they can be expected to start to fail just like we do because of old age.  SO, Steering fluid Leak Sealers might just extend their life another 5 years or so.  The sealers work on the rubber seals to swell their size and put new life in the rubber.  The hooker is the use of the right sealer. I'm told it should be a sealer that does NOT contain petroleum Distillates because they will swell the rubber initially but then work on eventually destroying the rubber like those products do. Then the seals fail beyond repair later. I am trying now to find the product without the distillates.   

RebeccaKlein

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 10:49:31 PM »
I had leaks in the two back jacks on my 2001 Patriot.  I had a problem with mechanics in Kansas City not checking the fluid in the reservoir like I had them to do repeatedly. The rear jacks started leaking after they repeatedly tried to run the jacks without fluid. I ended up having to replace the back jacks. It is expensive but my leveling system is working great now.

Grant Ralston

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 02:32:49 PM »
The RVA owners manual suggests wiping dirt off the jack ram to extend the life of the jacks. 
After I have had the coach supported on the jacks for a few days, especially in dusty/sandy conditions, I try to wash down the exposed jack rams with PB-Blaster as a solvent and lubricant to clean off the rams before retracting.