Author Topic: Question regarding shore power/inverter.  (Read 3680 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Question regarding shore power/inverter.
« on: February 04, 2016, 03:45:59 PM »
We checked in to this campground in Palm Beach, FL on Monday afternoon. When they assigned us site 13 it didn't seem like a bad omen at the time.  :-\

First, for showers and coffee yesterday morning, our water pressure was non-existent. We talked to the management and they promised to fix it right away. When we left for the day, they were working on the water.

When we returned last night, there was a new stand pipe and our water pressure was great. However, we had no shore power. I checked the breakers inside first, even flipping each one down and up. Then I checked the power pedestal and there was no power present. It was 7:30 p.m. and the office was long closed with no emergency number available. I called the office and left a voice mail on their machine explaining the problem. I assumed there was a main that was shut off so they could work on the water, which was right next to the pedestal, and they forgot to turn it back on.

I used the inverter for my c-pap overnight and the coffee this morning. Luckily, I noticed the battery level was getting close to a warning, so I turned it off (we generally leave the inverter in the charge mode only and rarely enable the inverter part). Just minutes later, the guy came to our coach, went way back by a fence line, and I assume turned the main back on. He then picked up my power cord and plugged us in.

I have these questions.

1. If the inverter would have been enabled when he plugged us in, would there have been damage to the inverter? The electrical system?

2. Had there been damage, would the campground have been responsible? My feeling is that he should have notified us prior to plugging us in, or just told us the power was back on and we could plug in.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Stan
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 03:47:53 PM by Stan Simpson »
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Question regarding shore power/inverter.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 04:34:12 PM »
Stan,
Having the inverter on and then applying shore power won't hurt it, assuming the shore power is OK. In your  case, I'd have probably turned it off before applying shore power as you didn't know what caused the outage.
Just my opinion, but the park folks should not have done anything with your shore power cord if you had originally unplugged it. Consider, what if you took the "opportunity" to work on an AC circuit inside the coach and suddenly there was AC present.... They should have notified you before plugging it in.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Re: Question regarding shore power/inverter.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 05:55:03 PM »
Stan,
Having the inverter on and then applying shore power won't hurt it, assuming the shore power is OK. In your  case, I'd have probably turned it off before applying shore power as you didn't know what caused the outage.
Just my opinion, but the park folks should not have done anything with your shore power cord if you had originally unplugged it. Consider, what if you took the "opportunity" to work on an AC circuit inside the coach and suddenly there was AC present.... They should have notified you before plugging it in.
Steve

Thank you, Steve. Big worry off my mind!

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad