Author Topic: Suggestions for Repairing Roof Cove Fiberglass?  (Read 4510 times)

Bruce Sieloff

Suggestions for Repairing Roof Cove Fiberglass?
« on: February 04, 2016, 05:13:43 PM »
Found this yesterday when cleaning off the bedroom slide. :-\ It is about 2" long, lifted from the surface and located just above where the roof meets the sidewall (hopefully the picture posts). I want to get this repaired before I encounter any rain, which being in Yuma is currently unlikely, but home is Seattle. I have noticed stress fractures along the length of the cove on both sides of the coach, and whether it is impact or stress aging I'm not sure. I am considering having both sides rhino coated and painted to preserve what I have and protect from branches. Any suggestions on a permanent repair?

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Suggestions for Repairing Roof Cove Fiberglass?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 11:50:07 PM »
Bruce
You sure sre right about the rain and Seattle.  We are across the sound and have had 40 inches since Nov.
so, on our Patriot we had a gouge much worse than this one.  I went to a boat shop and picked up a kit for repairing gel coat for about $25.  There was a hole under ours so I stuffed it with insulation and put the filler over that.  It actualy took longer to read the whole instruction sheet than to do the repair. 
A couple suggestions would be to open up that raised portion with a utility knife.  Sand around the area real good before and after.  When you mix the filler  ake the color just a bit darker than needed because it will lighten as it dries.

Good luck
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Bruce Sieloff

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 06:25:39 PM »
Thanks Keith,
I haven't done fiberglass repair before, I assume that the gel coat filler is a kind of epoxy that fills the cracks, strengthens and makes it waterproof.
The fact that a portion of the area protrudes above the surface indicates that I want that portion down and in place for a permanent fix. I assume the gel coat would be the best "glue" I could find.
I suppose that cutting that area out and replacing it would probably be a weaker fix since all four sides would then be floating in place and secured by gel coat.
I have noticed quite a bit of crazing, fine cracks indicative of stress fractures, in various places along the cove on both sides of the roof. I'm not sure if that is due to aging, over stressing or both.
I am thinking that a waterproofing fix for that would be the rhino coating. I have seen the treatment that Roy and Vicki Warren did to the front of their coach and it seems pretty bulletproof once you get past the aesthetics. ???
Bruce.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 12:10:51 PM »
The Warrens coach came out very well.  Nothing is bullet proof but this comes close.
The gel coat repair kit comes with resin and hardner and four primary colors. Mix a small portion with color combinations to get the right color but just a couple shades darker.  Add suggested hardner only when ready to use it NOW.  It dries in seconds.  I use a plastic scraper or wooden tongue depresser to mix the hardner in and apply and smothe.
As far as the repair, I would suggest using 100 grit and sanding the area well to a coarce finish.  Do it well out around the afected area.  Drill a small hole (1/16 bit) on each end of the crack and use a blade knife to open the crack up very slightly.  Make sure there is stuffing behind the crack or add some.  Use a hair drier on very warm to heat the area and push down into place.  Allow to cool in place and then fill and re sand. 
Pretty easy work but it sounds tough.
Best of luck
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!