Author Topic: Found a great supplier for Webasto Control Unit - Aqua or Hydro Hot  (Read 11327 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Before leaving on our trip to Florida on Dec 1st, I had my HH tech in Janesville, WI check everything over. I told him about the grinding whining sound when the unit was going through the purge cycle. He told me it was an indication of the control unit going bad.

I didn't want to be on the road for 3 months, and have it go out, so I started looking for a replacement. I searched Aqua Hot website, and others that I found online. The least expensive for a new unit was $757.00, plus shipping. Somehow, searching this site, I found a post from 2009 (which I can't find now) where the BAC member found a new replacement in Brooks, OR at McCoy Freightliner. The price was in the low to mid $500s. I thought, well its 6 years later, but what the heck. I called, talked to Matt Warner in parts 503-463-6303. He said they had none in stock, but he could order it for me from Webasto and then when they get it, ship it to an address of my choosing. The price before shipping was $527.68, and then $40 shipping which included Webasto to them and them to me. Matt said Webasto would not ship direct to me. $567.68 total. I had it shipped to the RV park in Clearwater where we planned to be by December 22nd. It came as scheduled.

The old unit has been really grinding a lot lately, so today I replaced it with the new one. Works perfect!

This forum has saved us thousands of dollars in 4 years. I hope this helps someone save some money.

Stan

Edit: I searched some more and found the post I was referring to. I was a bit off on the price he got. But I'm still a happy camper!

http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,130.msg469.html#msg469

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 06:31:42 PM by Stan Simpson »
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Jerry Emert

Edward Buker

Re: Found a great supplier for Webasto Control Unit - Aqua or Hydro Hot
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 12:42:07 AM »
Stan,

I was wondering if that was a Webasto controller or a new version from them or someone else. These have been antiquated designs forever with relays with springs in them. I believe the heating and cooling cycles, being attached to the burner causes fatigue to the relay springs, reducing tension, which causes them not to pull the contacts open properly. That causing the "grinding" and sometimes they will not release until you cut power. I actually moved my controller outside of the Aquahot to hopefully give it a longer life and I have not had trouble with my new controller having done that. I was wondering if the black unit was all solid state now and a better design given it looked different. You may not have any idea but I thought it was worth asking on the forum in case anybody has info on the "Black Beauty" over the "Silver Dog" version.

Later Ed

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 05:59:36 PM »
Hello Ed,

I don't know about solid state. I guess the only way to know is to take it apart. But it seems to be a sealed unit. It has the exact part number that's on the old one. It has the same spade connections as the other one. It has the name Webasto on it, however, it says it's manufactured in Ukraine instead of Germany.

I should have taken a picture of it before the installation. It's a b***-buster for me to get the cover back on my unit in the tiny space Beaver decided to use. The bottom screws are so close to the frame of the bay, Beaver put access holes for a screwdriver by boring holes in the frame underneath the bay. I don't have a huge desire to take it apart again, but I will if it will give you the information you need.

Stan
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 06:38:27 PM »
Stan,

Thanks for the follow up and no need to take anything apart or get another picture. I saw the photo in the post and they are sealed units so you could not tell anything anyway.

These units were so unreliable in todays electronic world, due to the use of relays in a hostile environment, that they were long overdue for a redesign and update. The last new one I bought was one of the silver ones with relays which also said Webasto on it from Germany. These older design units had a fail mechanism called wearout in the reliability world, meaning by design they literally all will fail within a period of use based on the fact that the springs on the relays get weakened with age in a hot environment and with vibration probably oscillating them while the burner is running. They made a lot of money selling these replacement units. Lets hope the Ukraine units have moved away from the use of relays to semiconductors which should not wearout in our lifetime. I guess time will tell....

Later Ed

Darrell Terry

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 07:31:46 PM »
Stan,
 Did the new Control Box stop the grinding sound ?  My HH failed to start although all lights on Electronic Controller were properly lit and no fault lights were illuminated.
I started to pull out Control Box to check voltages and HH motor started and flame lit as normal. I did notice a grinding noise from the Head that I had never heard before.
My HH worked perfectly for 3 days and then had the same issue. This time I tapped the Control Box with a screwdriver and it again operated normally although I again heard the grinding noise.
I'm sure I need a new Control Box but was uncertain if Grinding noise was a separate issue that would need additional repair.

Thanks,
Darrell
2004 Monterey
350 Cummins ISC

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 03:21:34 AM »
Darrell,

Since installing the new control unit 1-1/2 months ago, I've had no re-occurrence of the grinding sound. The HH has worked flawlessly. As info, the Hydro Hot and Aqua Hot are the same thing. Both are made by Vehicle Systems. They just changed the name some time after 2005 from Hydro Hot Aqua Hot.

Stan
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Bruce Sieloff

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 07:31:12 PM »
Just an update on the McCoy Freightliner Contact listed. We had a service and the tech mentioned the cool down cycle after the burner shuts off wasn't working properly until a replacement controller was installed, so I just ordered a replacement Aquahot Controller for my 100-02S.  Talked to Matt, 503-463-6303, the price was $504.70 plus shipping. Aquahot parts are expensive and all over the map from obscene to just plain high, my tech wanted $1075 and online from Webasto is $800. They also have access to other AH parts, I asked about the thermostats for the electric element and they were about $75 each the last time I had them replaced, I would imagine you could get it for less.