Author Topic: External water filter  (Read 3471 times)

Lawrence Tarnoff

External water filter
« on: April 16, 2016, 11:14:18 PM »
Seeking recommendations for a decent external water filter for between the city water source and the fill port.  There's a wealth of 'em on Amazon.  We've been using bottled water for drinking and will probably continue to do so, but would like a quality upgrade for the shower.

Thanks,

Larry

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: External water filter
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 12:15:38 AM »
This is what I got at CWorld last summer, to use washing vehicles at home as well as take with us in the coach:
http://www.portablewatersoftener.com/Water-Softeners

Last fall's 6 week trip tested it, and it worked great.  It's a softener, not necessarily a filter.  For a filter I could add our previous one to the line, the little blue Camco Tastepure one available in most RV accessory venues.  But the On-The-Go allowed pretty good flow, where some filters are restrictive.  It made for softer water by removing calcium and other minerals, so showers and clothes and dish washing was nicer.  Shop around for best prices, but the CWorld deal was good at the time I was looking, and I didn't have to pay for or wait on shipping.

There are other brands and sizes available, but I really think this was the best for us.  It has adequate capacity for our uses, isn't hard to recharge (admittedly I haven't had to do that yet as ours still isn't at capacity), and it really fits nicely upright in a compartment adjoining our water bay where it's convenient;  usually though, I just leave it hooked up outside on the ground when camped, and semi-hidden in the corner against the coach where a front streetside slideout obscures it.

-Joel
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 12:19:02 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Roy C Tyler

Re: External water filter
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 01:22:10 AM »
We have been using the Hydro Life RV/Marine Exterior Water Filter Kit HL-200 for a couple of years.  We got ours at Camping World but Amazon has them for a few dollars less.  It supplies water at 2.5 gal/minute, which seems to be adequate for our shower needs.  I have noticed no taste in the water but we usually use a pitcher with a filter built in for drinking water anyway.  I bought 2 mounting brackets.  One is inside the basement door next to the water bay and I use that for transport.  The other bracket I mounted on the slide and is accessible only when the slide is out.  I use that to hang the filter on when parked.  I also clip a warning inside the cabinet that the slide switch is in so that I don't bring the slide in with the water filter hanging in the parked position.