Author Topic: Shock Replacement  (Read 4808 times)

Steven Link

• BAC Member
    • whitehousevet.com
Shock Replacement
« on: February 09, 2016, 01:02:54 PM »
I have a 2009 Marquis and would like to replace the electronic shocks (Bilstein) with standard non-electronic replacements. Would like to hear from anyone that has done this on the R10S chassis. If anyone has any insight I would appreciate any comments or suggestions. Electronic direct replacements are >$900 each...ouch! Would like some other alternative. I have heard there are shocks developed for the roadmaster chassis from Source Engineering but do know?
Thanks,
Steven Link
Steven & Penny Link
Springfield, TN
2009 Marquis,  Cat C-15

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: Shock Replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 01:21:32 PM »
Steve Idon't know about your rig but have removed my Bilstien anf in stalled Koni they provide a much nicer ride on our 06 Pat./
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13
The following users thanked this post: Steven Link

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 01:50:22 PM »
Steven,
Here's a couple of links to Source Engineering. http://sourcerv.com/custom_shocks   http://www.rvbusiness.com/2012/12/source-engineering-shocks-are-custom-tuned/  Might be worth a call or 2 to investigate. Source developed them when Navistar owned Monaco.
If you were going to replace the OEMs with standard shocks and not opt for the Source, I'd agree with Jerry re the Konis. On my Contessa I replaced the Bilsteins with new Bisteins. On the Marquis I switched to Konis. They improved the ride but IMHO it wasn't enough of an improvement to justify the cost delta. In your case I'd opt for the best possible ride I could get from mechanical units due the quality yielded by the OEM units on your coach now.
Good Luck!
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Steven Link

• BAC Member
    • whitehousevet.com
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 12:41:55 PM »
Thanks Jerry and Steve. Looks like I'm going with the custom shocks from Source Engineering.  My family's shop in Nashville, Link Automotive,  is installing them.  They offer complete chassis service and do all of my preventative maintenance. Chris at the shop talked to Jim at Source Engineering and they came up with a plan to  replace all the electronic shocks. I will let everyone know what the ride results and handling changes are as we are headed to Georgia and Florida tomorrow. I hope this works well! Thanks to you both for the input.
Steven & Penny Link
Springfield, TN
2009 Marquis,  Cat C-15

Lon Franklin

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 04:03:37 PM »
Steven
My Bilstein shocks never worked properly. I finally replaced them this past year and it made huge difference in the ride of the coach. Monaco replaced several of the shocks plus the control board and it never worked.
Lon Franklin
Flagstaff, AZ