Author Topic: Experts needed quickly - brake remote resivoir  (Read 3511 times)

john brunson

Experts needed quickly - brake remote resivoir
« on: February 18, 2016, 11:17:19 PM »
Just had a moment of panic here hours before we are to head to CSG for diesel club rally.  96 Monterey Magnum "Blue Streak" chassis (Not Air Brakes - Hydraulic over hydraulic.

Last trip out I found nice access plate to add DOT3 to the brakes (see picture) upon checking, this tank was dry.... I promptly swung into a parts house and added enough to fill.... Coach never failed to stop.

Fast forward a month and I am running thru a checklist and opened my plate on dash and checked fluid... Opened top and used the "fingertips dipstick" method. As I went to check left front tire pressure, I noticed copious amounts of Dot 3 fluid pouring out from coach..... Ugh

Raise front of coach, crawl under and find two plastic hoses dangling with one still dripping fluid...these hoses have not had a wrench on them in years and look to be abandoned.... Other end of hoses are traced to the bottom of the resivoir that I filled last trip!!  Further inspection reveals that they terminate near the master cylinder - but I can find no fitting on this where they were ever connected.

Did I jus fill an abandoned tank?

Grant Ralston

Re: Experts needed quickly - brake remote resivoir
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 02:02:14 AM »
John,
Our 98 Contessa also has hydraulic/hydraulic brakes.  The DOT3 brake fluid reservoir has to be above the master cylinder and on ours it is on the front of the firewall above the floor in line with the steer wheel.  It seems you have only two options to solve your issue: either the entire reservoir has been relocated and you must track the lines back from the master cylinder to find it; or, only one of the two chambers within the reservoir were dry due to the disconnected fluid line you found and you have been stopping using brakes in either the front or rear brake system.
Good Luck,
Grant

john brunson

Re: Experts needed quickly - brake remote resivoir
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 02:01:29 PM »
Entire master cylinder was replaced with a different model... New one did not have remote resivoir- remote tank abandoned.