Author Topic: Dashboard Electrical Problem  (Read 3423 times)

Larry Wilson

Dashboard Electrical Problem
« on: February 21, 2016, 03:21:04 AM »
Coach is in storage on our lot in Florida.  Plugged into shore power.  Chassis batteries unhooked and removed.  Went to check on coach and dash warning lights were on, silverleaf was on, lights for jacks were on.  No key in ignition but acted like their was.  Put key in, turned it on and off no change.  Went out to electrical bay and unhooked wires to things that were on to shut them off.  Don't know how items were getting power.  Smartwheel?  Touched chassis cable to coach batteries and wipers started.  Untouched cable and wipers remained on.  Unhooked wire to shut off.  Don't know for sure where problem is coming from.  Suspect smartwheel, had problems with contacts on it years ago.  Have had coach since new.

2000 Marquis
C12 40ft
2 slides
Larry Wilson

Grant Ralston

Re: Dashboard Electrical Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 04:50:48 AM »
Larry, I am certainly not an expert, but I suspect the solenoid in the electric bay that energizes the buss bar for the "key on" items that you found on (lights, wiper, etc).  Check to be sure the solenoid is operating correctly by testing with a meter while someone turns on/off the ignition key.
Good Luck.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 05:06:43 AM »
I considered that myself, Grant, but that solenoid should be all chassis side driven, and Larry's chassis set aren't hooked up.  His evident chassis power has to be coming errantly from the house side, and I'd venture to guess that perhaps there's something amiss with the auxiliary start (Boost) circuit.  Others here more versed in the BIRD (if his model has one)/Big Boy/inverter system might proffer more.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 04:07:54 AM »
Larry,
The chassis battery circuit is getting power from the Echo Charger if the house batteries are being charged. You can remove this power source by removing one of the Echo Charger fuses.

Gerald
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley