Author Topic: Tag axle and low speed maneuvering  (Read 4320 times)

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Tag axle and low speed maneuvering
« on: February 11, 2016, 07:04:55 PM »
When I bought our new to us 2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder Lexington (40' w/tag) the salesman said that at low speed, and with the Allison 4000 in 1st gear, the tranny control will automatically lift the tag, then the tag drops to normal position when in second or above some speed. Is this correct? I have not noticed any change in tag axle position, not that I can figure out what that would feel like anyway. He said lifting the tag will help with maneuvering at camp and when, for example, after a stop to a right hand turn. Any ideas?
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Lee Welbanks

Re: Tag axle and low speed maneuvering
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 10:16:27 PM »
Bill,

Never heard about the tag auto lifting, on my 06 PT I have a Tag lift switch and the din dong sounds when it is lifted. The only time I use it is if I have to make  slow speed real sharp turns on a hard surface (concrete, asphalt)

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 10:49:04 PM »
When I bought our new to us 2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder Lexington (40' w/tag) the salesman said that at low speed, and with the Allison 4000 in 1st gear, the tranny control will automatically lift the tag, then the tag drops to normal position when in second or above some speed. Is this correct? I have not noticed any change in tag axle position, not that I can figure out what that would feel like anyway. He said lifting the tag will help with maneuvering at camp and when, for example, after a stop to a right hand turn. Any ideas?

My manual does not say anything except not to use over 5 MPH.  The salesman told me that it will automatically go down over 5 MPH if I leave the switch on.  I have operated with switch on and off trying to see the difference.  I don't feel any so it must go up as advertized.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 04:37:56 PM »
With  tag switch on    the tag lifts automatically when below 5 mph and lowers it automatically over 5 mph. I snapped the passenger side tag axle tie rod after going over a Mexican "Tope" 3 years ago without raising the tag.  Josams in Orlando upgraded both tag axle tie rods from 3/4 inch to 1 1/4 inch  threaded rod and ends.   The axle on my 2000 Marquis is basically a steer axle locked at set toe in/out by adjustable tie rods.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 10:55:13 PM »
With the tag axle switch in the on position, the tag goes up at under 5 mph and down again at speed over 5mph.
With the switch in the off position hlwever it remains down and loced.
Beware of your air .  When the tag moves up or down it takes our air fron 120 lbs to 90 or 100.  Recovery is 1 minute but this can be a long time when pulling into a parking lot.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!