Author Topic: Urgent help needed, fuel primer pump location  (Read 8525 times)

paulmatasso

Urgent help needed, fuel primer pump location
« on: February 21, 2016, 01:50:07 PM »
Curious if someone can tell me where to add a primer pump, changed the secondary filter on my 2006 PT, Cat 13. The secondary is right over the fuel tank in the bay. There is no place on the filter mount to add a hand pump like I have read about in other threads. If I add a hand pump or electric where should it ideally be?

Thanks as always!
Paul

john brunson

Re: Urgent help needed, fuel primer pump location
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 03:02:06 PM »
Paul,

Snap some pictures of your fuel filter setup and post here.

paulmatasso

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 03:19:28 PM »
This is over the fuel tank

paulmatasso

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 03:26:29 PM »
Engine bay

Jeff Watt

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 12:22:58 AM »
Paul,

I'm certainly no expert, but on 07 patriot the fuel filter above the fuel tank is for my AquaHot. The secondary is mounted at the back of coach right on the frame; primary on engine. Maybe others (Lee W.) can advise on primer.

Jeff

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 02:21:46 AM »
This is over the fuel tank

That filter is for the Aqua Hot, a C13 doesn't have a manual priming pump you don't need one if you properly fill the filters properly. The primary filter/separator is mounted to the rear of the Hydraulic filter like the pic shows.

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 02:34:59 AM »
Paul and Jeff, looking pictures the yellow fuel filter is your primary with the electric
Pump, your secondary fuel filter, be located on the engine would suggest using
A cat fuel filter because using. Non-Cat fuel filter you removed your engine safety feature
from your Engine ECM. Looking at your engine with the white fuel filter and filter base above
fuel filter. On the left idle of filter base there is a hex plug which is the bleed plug for
Secondary fuel filter. ( just loosen the hex plug one turn open CCW and turn on your key switch)
but do not start engine. Will take less than 10 seconds to fill secondary fuel filter, turn
off key switch and tighten bleed plug engine will start. Going back to hand primer pump,
location is on the secondary fuel filter base. Dave Atherton Retired Cat mechanic

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 01:19:32 PM »
Good morning, Paul, Jeff and Lee, last eve answered your post on hand fuel pump and
location. After again looking over pictures posted information is not correct for your
pictures. Where things get mixed, the pictures do not match the question asked because
I do not think looking at pictures the filters ( for sure ) not Cat parts and  for sure base for
secondary fuel is either remote install ( and cannot install hand pump on filter base ). The
information I reply to is correct Cat part for a Cat C-13 engine which can have a hand pump
installed on filter base. This is not where my question is going, do not think route of fuel
from tank to filters, transfer pump to engine has followed Cat standard connect up to engine
fuel rail at secondary fuel filter location. ( the secondary fuel filter base has spool valve,
a check valve and air bleed plug on filter base for the C-13 that play a very important role
In fuel operation of engine. Lee, I sent you some information to look over and compare your
fuel system to the post of Pauls . I do not want to say the sky is falling but something is not
correct on how Builder has connect fuel to the C-13 engine. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

paulmatasso

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 04:30:12 PM »
Thanks everyone for replying, after reading your posts, and reading the engine manual I do feel much more educated, and a bit embarrassed for sending the pic of the filter over the tank. I did find and replace the secondary filter on the engine. I bought the filter from caterpillar, and the gentleman there told me to pre fill it, making sure the center was completely covered.  He stated my engine was not built with a hand priming pump on top of the secondary filter, and that one can be installed although it isn't needed if the filter is pre filled. I feel like I have learned a lot about my coach and diesel motors in general.(still in my first year as an rv owner) For a guy that has frame off restored a mustang I have to say I did feel pretty dumb once I got to the end of the replacement. I do appreciate all your input as it helped get me put this all together.  I am looking forward to the next replacement and it only taking me 15 min!
Thanks
Paul

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 06:06:25 PM »
Thanks everyone for replying, after reading your posts, and reading the engine manual I do feel much more educated, and a bit embarrassed for sending the pic of the filter over the tank. I did find and replace the secondary filter on the engine. I bought the filter from caterpillar, and the gentleman there told me to pre fill it, making sure the center was completely covered.  He stated my engine was not built with a hand priming pump on top of the secondary filter, and that one can be installed although it isn't needed if the filter is pre filled. I feel like I have learned a lot about my coach and diesel motors in general.(still in my first year as an rv owner) For a guy that has frame off restored a mustang I have to say I did feel pretty dumb once I got to the end of the replacement. I do appreciate all your input as it helped get me put this all together.  I am looking forward to the next replacement and it only taking me 15 min!
Thanks
Paul

I feel pretty dumb on a routine basis with my RV!  I've rebuilt car engines and done virtually all my own maintenance except transmissions for years.  Always someone has shown me first.  That's my Achilles heal, having to be shown first and not just looking at it and figuring it out.  I guess we all have our weaknesses.  You sound like you've got a handle on it now.  I'm still a work in process.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 01:36:01 AM »
One thing about filling the Cat secondary filter with fuel, get youself a 1'14 thread bolt and place a ORing around it and screw it into the filter mounting hole and then pour the new fuel in the outside holes until the filter is clear full. This was you don't allow unfiltered fuel into the injector system.