Author Topic: Replacing crank up batwing antenna with HDTV antenna  (Read 4790 times)

Ted Couch

Replacing crank up batwing antenna with HDTV antenna
« on: March 15, 2016, 07:08:42 PM »
On a recent camping trip in our 1989 Marquis my wife was attempting to crank up our antenna and the handle broke. We thought this might be an omen that we should replace our current antenna with a new HDMI antenna to take advantage of the digital signals flying free through the air when we are not at a spot with cable available and we are not using our DISH satellite system. We have read some articles on the Jack Digital HDTV antenna system and it sounds like it might be a good option as it fits in the same hole as our current antenna. We would appreciate any input with regard to member experiences with this system or recommendations for other systems that have worked well. Thanks all!

Andy Clark

• BAC Member
Re: Replacing crank up batwing antenna with HDTV antenna
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 07:36:34 PM »
We used the Jack antenna for a while, but finally went back to the bat-wing with added "booster" (Wing Man) for much better reception. One thing you can do to REALLY improve reception is to permanently install a signal strength meter in the coax line from the antenna. Then you can direct the antenna to the strongest signal immediately without having to do trial-and-error antenna repositioning and TV rescans.
Works for us.
Andy
Andy Clark
1995 Patriot 37
300HP Cummings 6CTA8.3
Camano Island WA

William Jordan

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 08:57:20 PM »
 I have seen  a test ,on another forum, by a TV engineer. He stated that a bat wing is actually the best at distance reception provided has the "wingman" retrofit addition. (all the new ones come it std) What the Jack antenna does is be less directional and you can be more "sloppy" pointing it at the station antennas. You  get that at the expense of it not reaching out as far, less distance from station.
a couple points You may know already Know ...... there is no such thing as a HDMI antenna. Thats pure Marketing.   Its VHF or UHF as it always has been and when tv stations went digital many (most ) stations went UHF which doesn't go as far as it cant pass through objects or terrain  as well. what you need is a good UHF antenna and thats what the wingman attachment does as does the Jack.
One caution is I did have a friend we had camped with have a Jack on his trailer ripped off by a limb as it does stand up and not lay flat. but avoiding limbs is a good idea anyway :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 09:01:56 PM by William Jordan »
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Chuck Jackson

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 11:06:09 PM »
I went with the Winegard RVW-205 Sensar IV and I use this to find the direction I need to point my antenna http://www.antennapoint.com/

Oh, and you can by the replacement parts for the crank up antennas just about anywhere. I had to buy a new handle also and it was about $7.
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4328
2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat - Sold

Roger Rempe

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 01:32:57 PM »
This is also a good site for antenna direction.
https://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/dtvmaps/

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 02:27:59 PM »
A little pricey, but great OTA HD. Fully automatic...no more cranking ever!

http://www.winegard.com/over-the-air-television-antennas

We had it installed in the same spot as the old bat-wing. It comes with a plastic plate to cover the hole in your ceiling where the crank was.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad