Author Topic: Custom Inplace Slide Topper  (Read 4549 times)

Mike Groves

Custom Inplace Slide Topper
« on: February 24, 2016, 06:29:52 PM »
As many of us have noted the original design of the living room slideout with the sloped roof doesn't work very well in windy conditions as even according to SMC in those sorts of conditions the water can come in.  I think many of us feel that our seals aren't working correctly but I think in my case at least, its blustery rainy conditions.

So, I had an idea, that since I don't want to have a slide topper installed, that I would make a cover which "snaps" to allow me to drape a waterproof plastic cover over the problem area.  Perhaps from the roof line ABOVE the gutter down, the entire length of the slide, and then snapped to the sloped roof area.  I think this would defeat the effects of the wind in blowing the rain into the coach.

Does anyone know how one would install the snap fittings into the fiberglass, and where to get these?  Obviously this was done for my custom window covers.

Again, I'm not interested in have a slide topper installed because I like the way the coach looks when its running down the road, so this would be something that I could installed once parked, similar to the windows covers.

Mike

Edward Buker

Re: Custom Inplace Slide Topper
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 01:22:15 AM »
Mike,

You can get the snaps at any canvas shop, coastal marine areas usually have more canvas shops. West Marine or Amazon should also have these.  You basically should get short shank screw versions, size a bit to the threads, and drill. I would use a little Lexol clear sealer on the threads and screw them in. Wipe any excess right away.

Later Ed

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 01:54:54 AM »
Mike,
Home Depot and Lowes also carry them. Use a 7/64 drill for teh fiberglass and 1/8 if you hit metal.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Mike Groves

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 06:15:59 PM »
Thanks guys!  I've been out of my mind setting up the correct SEARCH words.  And, Ed, "Short shanked screw snaps" worked perfectly!  :)  And Steve, thanks for the bit sizing.  Now to get my wife excited about creating this cover. 

Mike

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 12:04:22 PM »
Mike,

I have experienced the same issues with ours. Seal replacement, more sealant than I care to share.  I narrowed it down over the years, I just ordered a zip Dee topper. My patience has been tested and I want a solution that does not require more aggravation.

If you want to call to find out pricing. Etc, I am in the directory.  Not as bad as I thought it might be by the way.

Mike Groves

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 02:44:52 PM »
Tom, yes, we've "discussed" this before.  I think you told me you thought the bolts holding the cabinets were the culprits but I just couldn't get at those on mine.  A country coach repair place in Eugene replaced my top and side seals and I think the lip of the top seal might have been just a little short.  I've had to go up on the roof and use a flat edge (knife - don't tell my wife it was a kitchen knife) to pry the lip out so that it flopped down.  I'd hoped this would be enough, but when the wind really moves the water around it does come in as evidenced by the wet ceilings inside the cabinets.  Perhaps I'll wait for a report back from you as to how your install went and what the downsides, if any, of travel are. 

Always nice to hear from another owner of a '99.

Mike