Author Topic: Extended warranty  (Read 3048 times)

Lawrence Tarnoff

Extended warranty
« on: March 03, 2016, 06:50:58 PM »
Out of curiosity, I received an estimate for an extended warranty and was mildly surprised by the cost.  Yes, I thought it would be less.  Upon reflecting on the outrageous costs of some motorhome repairs, I guess I should have considered $2,500+ per year a reasonable amount.

Curious as to what percentage of diesel pusher owners elect this coverage.

Larry

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
Re: Extended warranty
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 07:51:39 PM »
I had Good Sam coverage for the first two years of ownership at a cost of $2000 yearly. I had a $500 deductible for any covered issues so I would save up a few things first before I would take it in for repairs.

But, they were very nit picky as to what they would pay and not pay. The biggest claim I had was for about $2700 worth of covered items so that saved me $2200 after I paid the deductible. But the kicker was my frig cooling unit quit and they would not cover it, so I dropped it and just put money away monthly for maintenance and parts.

I figure most years I am not going to have $2000 of repairs or maintenance so it makes more sense to me. But I know some like the security it gives by having coverage.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Re: Extended warranty
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 12:13:17 AM »
I bought one when I bought my coach 2 years ago.  Cost was about 6K.  has probably saved about 3k so far.  Going to give it another workout next week.  In my research into DP ownership, I had seen some of the horror stories about blown engines and transmissions.  It gave me, a first time DP owner, a lot of peace of mind.  Still does.  I can cover pretty much any repair but would not like to have to pay a 20-30K repair bill.  That would put a huge cramp in my retirement plans.  And on another note, I can now say that I retire "next month" and I like it!
Safe travels folks.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH