Author Topic: Hepvo Drain Valve?  (Read 7443 times)

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Hepvo Drain Valve?
« on: March 03, 2016, 05:33:12 PM »
Has anyone tried the Hepvo Drain valves? Conceptually it looks like a neat system, getting rid of both the P trap and vent valve under the sink.  http://www.hepvo.com/

Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Wayne Tull

Re: Hepvo Drain Valve?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 06:59:17 PM »
I just saw that and was wondering about it myself.....thinking about it.

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 07:00:25 PM »
Since reading about it 2 years ago I've wanted to install it but I didn't want to be a Guinea pig. Want to see if in the vertical position small food particles or what ever would hold the flap end partially open allowing sewer smell thru. I think it's a great idea and have looked for it in home improvement stores in our travels, nope. I also thought I'd see it at Camping World, nope. Haven't looked at new trailers or RVs to see if they have incorporated it . I think it's a great idea.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 07:53:09 PM »
I just saw that too and looked in my sink areas about doing the replacement. The way mine are I really wouldn't get much more room so gonna leave it be.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 10:27:39 PM »
I made note of it on the Forum in Sept. 2011, as a potential solution for a drain I thought didn't have an auto-vent, our shower.  I've since found the vent hiding quite well behind vertical framing in back of galley cabinetry, so the Hepvo option lost its necessity for me, and I can't report on its efficacy.

I still don't quite understand how, if the gray tank has a vent to the roof, dumping the tank would suck out the traps, but apparently it's possible.  Perhaps it's because the roof vent is smaller in diameter than the dump port?  You'd still think with 4 auto vents, the vent volume would limit any single one's draw. 

The shower auto vent is hard enough to get at that I can't determine for certain that it isn't faulty.  But it's the only trap that ever seems to get occasionally unintentionally emptied, allowing odors until I refill it.  It's the lowest trap in the coach and may be proximally closest to the tank, though I'd think vacuum force equal at each trap regardless of distance.  Am I off on my physics? 

Sorry Steve, if this sidetracks your post a bit.

Joel

Joel
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 10:36:14 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 10:47:44 PM »
We saw the video on these and I believe it is one of those looks good on paper things.  Once the modification is made though it is done.
Inside these units the plastic sleeve is new and clean.  The grey water tends to build up and as plastic ages it stiffens and could leave that sleeve open to gas backflow.
For the benefit I dont see the change as worthwhile. 

JMHO
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 01:31:08 AM »
Keith,
I have similar concerns but no data to validate. Looked at my drains and found that I'd have to install it horizontally in the kitchen, which, since it gets the most debris, would seem to be a candidate for getting particle(s) lodged in the flap, regardless of what the ad says. In the 2 bath sinks, I'd have to install them vertically in the main line and wouldn't be able to get rid of the p trap. So, decided to follow the tried and true saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Thanks for the inputs.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Dick Simonis

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 02:41:18 PM »
Just at a quick glance this appears to be an adaption of the common "duckbill" that is used in a myriad of applications.  While they do work good they also tend to be a weak link when the fluid is turbid.

VaccuFlush has been using them for decades in their toilets and while reliable do have a tendency to get gummed up and leak.  To minimize maintenance two duckbills are used in series on both the suction and discharge.

For a sink drain I would expect there to be a small issue in that a small amount of water wouldn't open the orifice and may not drain.  Probably not a big deal but I would want to see if it can be easily disassembled for cleaning.

Another thing to consider is that with a P-Trap you have a chance of retrieve the diamond ring that fell in to the drain while doing dishes.