Author Topic: refridge not cooling while driving  (Read 6559 times)

Tom and Pat Fudale

refridge not cooling while driving
« on: August 08, 2010, 03:00:02 PM »
My fridge whether on gas or electric does not cool while driving.  Works fine when stopped. :o
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 05:32:04 AM by 14 »

Bill Sprague

Re: refridge not cooling while driving
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 07:46:29 PM »
Can you provide a little more detail.  You haven't provided enough for anybody on this forum to be of much help.

What kind (brand and model) fridge?  What year and model of coach?  Will it run on both propane or electricity when your coach is parked for dry camping?  Will it work on propane when plugged into shore power?  What fuses have you checked? Is your inverter operating while you are driving?

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 12:09:04 AM »
It's been a couple years since we used our coach, but as I recall our refer's electric side won't run off the inverter;  refer electric functions only when plugged in or on generator - others here may chastise my memory :-/.  If so, gas is the only option on the road, and some burner configurations are susceptible to the flame blowing out, and/or ignition failure, from vent door draft.  The fact that it works okay when stopped is a good indication of the cause, but as Bill says, we need more information from you - does the unit work okay on gas while stopped?  

If the flame is possibly being extinguished by vent drafts, then check to make sure the burner's gas/air mixing sleeve is properly adjusted, so the flame is cleanly blue without too much orange, and any vent draft is less likely to disturb the mix point.   You should also check that the metal cover over the burner itself is securely in place, so it works as intended and isn't letting gusts of air extinguish the flame.  Flame loss due to vent drafting on the road is not something one reads about on today's coaches, though it used to be a common complaint a decade or two ago.  I don't remember what the prescribed solutions were back then, and our old motor home never had the drafting problem;  then again, I did check the sleeve adjustment/flame and burner cover annually anyway, so maybe that's why.  

That said, if the sleeve and burner cover are properly adjusted, I'd assume one could devise a metal shield to divert stongly moving air away from the burner and mix flue, without depriving the mix of needed air for burning.   But I hope that isn't necessary here.

As an addendum, there is much controversy over whether the refer should be on while driving, and the topic has been covered in FMC magazine I believe.  There are safety valves that shut off the fuel on impact, and some gas valves are wired to shut off for awhile when the engine is turned off (for gas station safety).  Great unless you're in the station longer than the prescribed "off" time, and the burner fires up in the midst of gas fumes.  But many states have areas like tunnels, etc., where any flame is illegal and unsafe, just like gas stations.  Some say the best option is to turn the refer off before driving, since theoretically today's well-insulated refers can keep food cool and safe for many hours as long as the door(s) aren't opened too often.  Exchanging that slight inconvenience for maximum safety on the road and in gas stations is to them the best option.  Personally, in a hazardous situation or accident, I wouldn't want to be held liable, legally or emotionally, for any consequences of the refer being on when it didn't absolutely have to be.

-Joel
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 02:06:05 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Tom and Pat Fudale

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 12:57:32 AM »
The fridge is a Norcold.  When parked it runs fine on gas or electric and works fine on gas when plugged in.  Inverter is on while driving, also had generator running while driving as it was very hot.  So fridge was operating on electric but still would not cool propertly. Someone said it could be a down draft in the vent but I don't know how to correct this. Also the two fans in the rear of the fridge seem to not run when it is really hot.  Don't know where there the temp. control for the fans is, as I would like trouble shoot this control.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 05:40:38 AM by 14 »

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 04:32:35 PM »
One person I know with a newer Contessa chased this problem for a long time and it turned out to be a problem with pinching the propane hose when the slide was moved in for travel.
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 10:08:56 PM »
I think Tom has asked the question before, to no avail, about finding the temperature control for his refer fans.  I'm not up on those fans, or I would have tried to help.  Those that might be able to assist you still need more info, Tom -  Model and year of coach and perhaps the Norcold model number.

Filling in some Profile and/or Signature information on your Member Center page is beneficial, because then those that read your questions will automatically know something about your rig, and you don't have to remember to include it in questions  ;).
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Ken Kruse

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 12:20:09 AM »
A possible cause for the no cooling while on the road is that the airflow over the refrigerator coils is decreased while on the road.  If the excess heat is not removed from the refrigerator coils, it will not cool properly.  Norcold has specific installation instructions on how the back of the refrigerator should be baffled for proper airflow through the lower vent, over the coils and out through the upper vent.

Good luck on chasing down the problem.
2016 Newmar Dutch Star
425 Cummins

Tom and Pat Fudale

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 01:47:34 AM »
Thanks, I had a feeling that it had to be some sort of air circulation problem, I guess the only way to fix it is to pull the fridge as the access in the rear is too small.

Tom and Pat Fudale

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 01:13:45 AM »
Removed the roof vent cover and found proper baffles to be in place but with a lot of air space around baffle and fridge. Duct taped all spaces and will see if this helps. Norcold recomends that all areas between top and sides of fridge be insulated to insure that all air circulates over the cooling fins and out the vent.

mikerobley

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 05:08:09 PM »
Has anyone found a solution to this problem.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 08:05:17 PM »
Tom,
T'stat for the muffin fans  is on top/ of the coils. It will be a button style unit. Not sure if your coach has an upper access panel. If so t'stat is easily accessable. If I remember correctly it is 180 degree.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 09:43:17 PM »
Repeating previous commentary, many of our coaches configure the fridge on it’s own circuit separate from the inverter, Mike, including yours, so the fridge can’t run the batteries down.  A look at your breaker boxes should confirm the fridge breaker is in the 50 amp Main box and not the 30 amp Inverter box next to it.  Your fridge’s ice maker however may be 30 amp.  Outside via the access panel, you should see as confirmation that the fridge and ice maker plug into different outlet boxes.

The fridge if turned on only runs on gas on the highway (unless an owner rewired things), and if the burner isn’t clean and properly adjusted or protected, flameout from road wind is a common result.  Thermostat and fans I would look into only after checking that.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat