Author Topic: Marquis wood finish fogging  (Read 5335 times)

Rick Adams

Marquis wood finish fogging
« on: March 21, 2016, 07:45:33 PM »
Has anyone dealt with refinishing the high gloss finish that has fogged on some of the older Marquis? I have a 2004 and am starting to see several areas where the finish is fogging and wonder what my options are to bring back that beautiful finish.

2004 Marquis 42
C-12

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Marquis wood finish fogging
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 08:02:07 PM »
Rick,
There are a number of threads on this topic. The fogging is mainly caused by moisture getting under the lacquer. The only fix I'm aware of is a removal of the lacquer and reapplication to get the exact same finish. But, given time and humidity it will probably fog again.
http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,2387.msg17700.html#msg17700
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 12:52:53 AM »
Rick I am not sure if this will work for you but I would try a test. I ran a very large company for 30 years with many finish abilities. If we did apply a top coat finish over a product that did not fully cure the moisture would fog, the finish tech could repair this with a simple lacquer wipe or spray. The top coat would open and allow the moisture to escape. This would work with the catalyst finishes that we used. The issue you have is you have a fully cured top coat this may be your problem.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Carol Moffett

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 12:26:59 PM »
Hi Rick!
   What you have on those cabinets are several layers of stain/finish.  Who ever was taxed with the job to do your particular cabinets did not wait long enough for them to dry before applying another coat.  Now the moisture is fogging the finish.  From the inside out.  You have no way of knowing which layer(s) the fogging is coming from.  It will likely be different on each cabinet.  The top coat is, obviously, dry and hardened.  You are by FAR not the only ones with this problem and from my investigations and talking to people, there is nothing to be done except to re-finish...at GREAT expence.
   Now, Jerry is a very knowlegable (and awesome  ;D) guy and he has many years experience with the products used, and maybe he has a specific brand in mind to use, but I've spoken with folks who have tried this and all to no avail...  I'm sorry to be the harbinger of bad news and I sincerely hope YOU find an easier fix, but basicly, it's a "just gotta live with it." scenerio, unfortunately.   :'(  I wish you all the luck in the world and please keep us informed on how you solve this problem!   :D  Sorry if I stepped on anyones toes!  This has just been my experiance in researching this problem  :o
Sincerely,  Carol
Carol Moffett (better half of Keith)
Totally Gorgeous, 45ft 2007 Patriot Thunder "ZOLA"
CAT C-13
2006 Ford Explorer Ltd, as toad
  :^3=~

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 06:31:03 AM »
I have 2 different problems Rick. On some of my cabinets, I get whitening in the finish, typically around joints.  I only have this in few places and nothing makes it better.  What I combat continually is a whitish film on all the cabinets inside and out.  About twice a year (could probably do it more often but there's too much wood and it takes too long) I use an orange oil based wood cleaner to wipe everything down.  Takes a little elbow grease but the film will come off.  I've been doing this for 3 years now and haven't noticed any ill affects on the finish.  Good luck. 

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 05:23:47 AM »
I have it on good authority that Beaver used a water based Eco friendly varnish  for my 2000 Marquis.  My varnish has gone soft and cloudy.  Soon I am going to have to refinish all my woodwork !!