Author Topic: Can someone give us some ideas about Towing packages?  (Read 7537 times)

Gorde Lang

• BAC Member
Can someone give us some ideas about Towing packages?
« on: March 10, 2016, 07:21:24 PM »
We have a 2000 Marquis Toumaline

I have 2 quotes here for Tow packages for installing a tow package for our new C Max Hybred car. One is from Camping World: They quoted a Falcon All- terrain TowBar #522 for 799.00 and the CMax kit for $439.00, and Falcon Accessary Kit for 299.00 and Brakemaster for Air brakes for $799.00 and a brake light switch 57.00 and Seat Brake Ford for $77.00 and Brake Pressure for $146.00 2 year warrantys for $260.00 (2) The whole bill is $3,800 and some change including tax and shipping.

He have another quote for Roadmaster Towing bracket for CMax Hybred $385.45 plus the Stow Master Tow Bar $528.28 labor $300.00 ana wiring kit for $314.00 and $100.00 labor. Even Brake system $1375.00 for a total of $3,627.22 with tax

We don't know the different between them as far as quality of materials for our C-Max hybred car. Please help give us some insight as far as which way to go here. Thanks in advance Belinda lang
2012 Winnebago Tour

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
Re: Can someone give us some ideas about Towing packages?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 09:17:11 PM »
I would recommend Blue Ox towing system (tow bar and base plate) with a light kit.  Do not like the Blue Ox braking systems.  Perhaps others can recommend one for your tow car.
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 09:23:37 PM »
Karl I have been running the Roadmaster with our SUV for 10 years the unit unit and roadmaster air brake system has done a great job for us.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 09:40:45 PM »
I've been running the Roadmaster Alum tow bar setup on our Honda CRV, had Cliff's welding in Mesa, Az install. That was around $2k installed, base plate and bar. I got the Roadmaster Brakemaster 9100 air brake system and installed it myself, was real easy to install. Hardest part was finding a place in the engine bay to put the brake away cylinder. The whole system works great, very happy with it. Even the crew at the border going into Canada liked it. Probably didn't know what they were looking at! lol!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 09:56:30 PM »
Gorde-

Either Roadmaster or Blue Ox are quality systems, and most of us have one or the other.  I don't think you need to fret over quality with either of those, just how much you are willing to spend.  The Falcon All-Terrain has advantages over the next model down, perhaps including such things as load capacity, materials, and arm release design.

We had the Falcon All-Terrain, and a Brakemaster, put on our Explorer when we bought the coach in 2006.  Camping World did the initial install in the Willamette Valley, but since the coach was being prepped in Bend, BCS had to finish the job after we took the car over the mountain to them.  There were some issues there since towbar installation wasn't BCS' forte at the time, but ultimately they took care of things for us, as always. 

Within a year I took the car to Roadmaster headquarters in Portland as I wasn't pleased with how Camping World set up the connection ports on the front bumper area.  They spent a couple hours, at virtually no charge, reconfiguring the ports correctly and checking out and tweaking some of the other things Camping World did.  I'm fortunate to live so close to Roadmaster, and can attest to their dedication to customer satisfaction and safety.  A few years ago, I took coach and Explorer to their newer facility in Vancouver, WA, to have them help improve the hitch configuration, and though I paid for new accessories, it was minimal and the labor was next to nothing or no charge.  They know what they're doing.

If you can get to Vancouver at all, I'd personally have Roadmaster themselves do the install;  but a lot depends on the experience and professionalism of whichever tech at Camping World happens to do the work for you, if you go that route instead.  If you are a CW/Good Sam member, I don't know if you factored that discount into the prices you report.  Though we use the Brakemaster, I am envious of the Evenbrake (I meant Invisibrake) as it's smaller and seems a smidge less effort to use;  but I wouldn't give up my Brakemaster for the extra cost now.

Make sure you've considered what may have to be done to the lower front of your new car so the adapters can extend out to the bracket, and how difficult it will be to remove the adapters when you don't need them, and later reinstall them.  I prefer to take them off when the coach is "stored", as they stick out where I and others can snag legs on them walking around the car in the garage or parking lots, and they're unnecessarily exposed to the weather longer than they need to be if left on year-round.  But it can be a somewhat dirty job getting under the front end and fenagling pins and bars.

Also, our '97 Explorer only needed a neutral tow switch installed at a Ford dealer in Bend.  New Fords these days, except the F150 4x4 I think, need a bit more prep for towing daily, so understand what you'll be in for there and obey the procedures religiously;  a blown tranny may not be warranted if you don't.  I understand the C-Max is towable, but make sure your specific engine and drive-train is, because not all configurations within a particular manufacturer's model line are - like some Eco-boost engine setups.  And don't exceed the 65 mph speed limitations.  Double-check your owner's manual and your January issue of FMC magazine.

After the first year of winter travel behind the coach, the car's grill and hood were plastered with gravel chips, and I was digging (to this day) small gravel bits out of front end crevices.  The windshield also had to be replaced.  So I added Roadmaster's Guardian (~$400?) and a stow for it on the hitch, and it helped a lot.  I would not tow an expensive new car without at least a Guardian, and I'd consider the fabric under-towbar shield that Roadmaster offers as a backup.  The rock guard hanging under your coach will not be enough.  I would not personally use a fabric cover for the front end, hood, and glass;  dirt gets trapped underneath and grinds away on the paint with every micro-movement of the cover.

I made the mistake of leaving the towbar folded on the coach hitch stored outside, at least a couple years sans the towbar cover.  The arms seized up from trapped water and subsequent internal rust and dirt.  I improved it a bit with a couple hours cleaning and flushing, but one arm was still sticky.  Last year I took the bar to Vancouver, and they've been there, done that, and wow what a difference when I got it back.  They'd even replaced free some parts with upgraded versions.  The restoration labor was $75, their standard fee, even though as it turns out one arm was a smidge bent and the main swivel frozen, which I didn't realize.  They graciously explained how I can better care for the towbar, and I now store it in the garage instead of 24/7/365 on the coach hitch.  And I put the cover over it whenever it is folded on the coach for any time on the road.

I'd take some time to shop around for additional options and quotes, including perhaps Roadmaster direct.  But go with someone with experience and a good reputation for installation workmanship, even if you buy the parts one place and have Roadmaster or someone else (or yourself) install things.

Joel
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 06:54:34 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 10:38:14 PM »
I have and have been impressed with the Ready Brute Elite.  It has a surge brake built in.  The attachments for the vehicle end were very easy to install.  It works flawlessly.  Total including labor should be around 2K (guess).  Good luck.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 10:42:06 PM »
Gorde,
Based on experience, I would not recommend Blue Ox for the baseplate. http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,4596.0.html
We replaced the Blue Ox with a Roadmaster baseplate. The robustness of the Roadmaster (5 points of connection) vs the Blue Ox (2 connection points to the toad) was markedly superior. That said, we do have the Blue Ox towbar and have been very happy with it. For brake systems, I'd recommend a "passive" unit that activates when the tow cable is plugged in and doesn't require a box to be set on the driver's floorboard.
Also make sure it is proportional; e.g. only applies brakes to the toad when the toad is pushing against the coach. Otherwise you've got a 4000 lb toad trying to stop a 37000 Lb coach. I have a Toad Stop and have been very happy with it.
Good Luck! Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 03:20:17 PM »
Gorde,
It is almost impossible to advise someone on the correct towing system (toad, tow bar, base plate, and tow brake) because there are so many combinations available and everyone has their personal preferences as to what they expect. Personally, I tow a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a Blue Ox tow bar, base plate, and M&G tow brake, but although I love it, my configuration is not best for everyone. However, there is one thing that I can honestly caution you on and that is to either install the system yourself or get a competent installer to do the work, and when you are talking about a competent and reliable service facility, Camping World is very rarely on the list.

Gerald
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Mandy Canales

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 06:54:58 PM »
Its been a long time since I investigated towing systems for our '90 Marquis and the '01 Honda Civic so can't comment on prices.  However we have a Roadmaster base plate, Sterling bar, and an M & G brake package and are very happy with the system.  Roadmaster has been very good to service the unit at all the RV conventions and some of the big rallies, including the FMCA Area rallies and at no charge.  They give you a note as to what the tech did to the bar and if any repairs need to be made.  Roadmaster has their own repair trailer on site at the national conventions to do any needed repairs.  We've had our system since 2001 and all seems to be working fine.  Good luck on your decision. :)
Mandy Canales
90 Beaver Marquis 40'
Cat 3208
Charter Member
Apple Valley, CA

Robin Goffrier

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 08:21:32 PM »
We were in Indio in January and attended the FMCA rally. Roadmaster was there as a vendor.  They brought a semi from Vancouver full of parts, maintenance supplies and steel work benches and if you took your Roadmaster tow equipment to their site at the rally they would do a complete service or refurb at no cost.  At the time I had an old, well used Falcon 2 and they warned me it was approaching the end of its projected service life.  However, they took it apart and replaced what they could.  As I departed they again reinforced their opinion that I really should consider replacing the bar.  About a month later as we were unhooking the Jeep from the Beaver I noticed a bend in one of the steel arms of the bar.  I have no idea how it got there but it signaled the end of life for the system. I replaced it with the Roadmaster All-Terrain and am very pleased.  Much easier to use.

Mandy Canales

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2016, 04:20:47 AM »
Robin...You were in Indio at the Western Area Rally and if  possible you could have joined up with other Beaver Club members there for the whole week.  We will be doing the Security work there again next January and hopefully you'll be able to join the group.  We were there for a whole week with electricity and four dinners with the group.  Check out the Beaver Tales issue for the Western Beach Party and see if meets your interest.  Would hope to meet you at one of the BAC rallies. :)
Mandy Canales
90 Beaver Marquis 40'
Cat 3208
Charter Member
Apple Valley, CA