Author Topic: Hydraulic Fuel Line Hose  (Read 37316 times)

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Hydraulic Fuel Line Hose
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2016, 02:23:18 AM »

Mike
[/Gentleman, have a parts list for hydraulic hose disintegration repair. Need:  44 inch long Cat
9X-2374 fuel hose, cost .36 inch $ 15.84, crimp hose fittings  -8 JIC female swivel $ 8.69
Part number 92752 need: 2 , cost $ 17.38, Adapter part number 96515 steel fitting 37. C5315
$ 3.32. Note: adapter is used on the fuel transfer pump on C-12, C-13, C-15 engine only
suction inlet. C-9, C-7, 3126 E, B, A model do not need this adapter.

Fuel/water filter ( if you choose To go with Cat Parts ) 137-4367 filter base, 129-0375 plastic
Bowel, 133-5673 filter element,  120-6726 elbow fittings need: 2 total cost $ 153.52
All parts were bought at Empire Cat and any Cat Dealer should have the part numbers in there
system. Today 2 motorhomes were repaired with fuel hydraulic hose problem with Cat parts.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanicquote]
[/quote]
Dave

Is the fuel line mentioned above a plastic line or what? 
The two parts lists above seem to be for two seperate repairs.  If I don't replace the Racor now will that mean replacing the hose again when replacing the Racor?

Thanks!
Keith
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 02:29:39 AM by Carol Moffett »
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2016, 03:47:02 AM »
Thanks Keith, Mike whatever you do is replace the hose from Recor water/fuel filter discharge
end to the suction inlet on engine fuel transfer pump. Before you replace hydraulic hose, wipe
off outside rubber of hose in question and what you should find in white letters Gates Global.
If you find the rubber outside with white letters that read Parker this brand Parker does not
need to be replaced. It is your call on the replacement of the Recor water/fuel filter. Remember
Cat C-12 engine will need 78 psi, Fuel pressure at high idle. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2016, 11:26:54 AM »
Hey Thanks for the info Dave
About that seperator from CAT.  Does that purge like the Racor does air / water and does it need a new switch wired in?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 10:12:43 PM by Keith Moffett »
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Edward Buker

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2016, 09:51:48 PM »
Dave,

Does the Cat 137-4367 filter base have a hand pump primer on it? If not are you concerned about not having a priming pump?

I put a Racor prefilter base with a thumb press type primer pump on my last motorhome and that unit was fine. If you are not concerned what is the procedure for priming? If you are concerned is there a Cat version with a manual pump?

Thanks Ed

Joel Weiss

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2016, 11:13:32 PM »

I put a Racor prefilter base with a thumb press type primer pump on my last motorhome and that unit was fine. If you are not concerned what is the procedure for priming? If you are concerned is there a Cat version with a manual pump?

The CAT 280-2698 filter base that was just installed on my MH to replace the Racor does not have a priming pump.  There is one, I believe that will mount on my existing secondary filter base.  I think the technician who did my conversion realized late in the day that he probably should have had a primer installed.  I'll have one added the next time I go in for service.

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2016, 11:36:16 PM »
Ed, answer to question the water/fuel filter base does not have place for hand priming
pump. Location of a hand priming pump is located on the secondary fuel filter base and
is not in a easy area to get at. One thing that makes easy way to prime fuel rail, using
The hex shaped bleed plug on secondary fuel filter base. Turn 3 full turns out and key on turn
engine over 2/3 seconds engine will start, shut off tighten bleed hex plug your done.  On
your C-12 you should have a hand primer pump on secondary filter base or a cover plate
Where you can install hand pump if you choose. Part number for Hand primer pump 116-5411.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat mechanic

Mike Groves

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2016, 11:41:14 PM »
I had the same question Keith had about whether or not the fitting I now have which is for the existing Racor primiary fuel filter with clear glass unit, and which goes to the lift pump, is the SAME FITTING as on the CAT Primary Fuel Filter that Joel is talking about?

Put another way, would I have to get another $760 fuel line installed if I was to be so silly as to go to CAT in Portland, Oregon, and have them swap out my Racor for a CAT Primary fuel filter?

Mike

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2016, 11:59:36 PM »
Keith, if your thinking about going with a cat water/fuel filter, no there is not a electric motor
or hand pump. With Cat water/fuel installed in place of Recor setup there is nothing to do
after install. Drain off a little water in plastic bowel few times. Thinking on going with the Cat
water/fuel it is a air tight and all it needs( required) pull diesel fuel from fuel tank in front
through the water/fuel filter than to the fuel transfer pump. Keep things simple and trouble free.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2016, 12:12:37 AM »
Mike, the cost will run less than $ 150.00 complete with fittings, filter base, and filter.
Just make sure when your at cat get the two fittings and two plugs for the filter. Make
sure the fittings that connect to your present fuel system are male -8 JIC with stright thread
with locking hex nut with o-ring ( need 2 ) and also 2 plugs with o-ring. Once installed
will be a trouble free. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Edward Buker

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2016, 02:11:12 PM »
Dave,

Thanks for the info. I do not have a hand pump and when I go the route of replacement at some point in the future how would you feel about this Racor unit with an integrated palm pump. I had installed one of these on my last motorhome and it worked well. The 460R version is rated at 60 gallons an hour and up to 30psi and is under $200.

I know I would get a little nervous about starting my engine with air in the system. This unit would bleed both the Racor prefilter unit and the Cat final filter through the bleed plug on the cat filter head before I start the engine as I can do now with the Raycor electric pump. There is also a 90GPH version 490R but it is about an inch longer. Does Cat have a part like this or is this one a good choice?

http://discountracor.com/shop/diesel-spin-on-assemblies/racor-460r-series-stock-12-volt-24-volt-diesel-spin-on-filterseparators/

Later Ed

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2016, 04:39:50 PM »
Ed, yes that Racor with palm pump has not had problems and works very well. Going with
that is trouble free and very simple looking ahead. Dave

Edward Buker

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2016, 04:45:54 PM »
Thanks Dave,

Your insight on this unit is much appreciated. This gives another option for those of us that like to be sure the air is out before we turn the key :-) I was wondering what the fuel pressure might be coming into the pre filter with a Cat C12 arrangement? You may have mentioned it but I have a hard time keeping this all straight...

Later Ed
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 05:05:52 PM by Edward Buker »

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2016, 05:32:41 PM »
Ed, checking on tech line Cat water/fuel filter primer pump. Cat only has a hand primer
pump on the secondary fuel filter along with a hex bleed plug. The water/fuel does not
need a hand pump or electric pump to operate in there fuel system because of there gear
fuel transfer pump on the front of engine. Pertains to Cat C-10 up to C-18 engines. On the
Cat C-9 down, setup is the same but have the electric fuel pump in place that run constant
fuel to engine fuel rail but just pulls fuel through water/fuel filter with no primer hand pump.
Dave

William Ervin

« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2016, 09:38:38 PM »
Question Dave

At Idle I get an occasional "Tic".  By tic I mean a short hesitation, maybe a second in duration, very random and I haven't seen anything on the silverleaf logging system.  Could the hesitation be air that the computer detects in the fuel system and momentarily derates it?

Bill

Grant Ralston

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2016, 03:34:13 AM »
Dave,
Today I installed a Parker fuel hose purchased in Salem, Ore at Motion & Flow for $52.26 (including one female Jic 45 deg elbow due to the tight access on the side of the 3126B).  I removed a Gates hose (stamped "made in the USA") with extensive exterior cracking and checking, but I don't know if it had internal decay.  The local CAT dealer sent me to Motion & Flow for the fuel hose, since he only had hydraulic. 
Thank you for your input on this issue.  I feel much better with the Parker hose in place.