Author Topic: Hurricane aquastat replacement.  (Read 3398 times)

Jeremy Parrett

Hurricane aquastat replacement.
« on: March 25, 2016, 05:34:58 AM »
 My Hurricane has been reluctant to start or stay running. It was checked out by a good tech. I have a good compressor,clean nozzle, good fuel pump and new ignitor  etc.
 Called ITR .  They sent me a replacement Aquastat, the new one just clips onto the top of the water heater elbow as  removing the old ones sometimes cause the brass elbow to disintegrate.  Compressed the 2 spade terminals to make good connections and fastened the new aquastat in place with supplied wire ties !!
  Jane switched the Hurricane on for hot water and bingo.....its been running fine ever since !!

Mike Groves

Re: Hurricane aquastat replacement.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 02:54:05 PM »
Those guys at ITR provide great support!  My wife was upset when I had to drain our Oasis combi so that I could cut out the bedroom heater to replace the fan.  She wanted me to take it up to ITR (we're in Portland, they are in Vancouver, WA) so that it was "filled up the right way".  I wrote to them, and they told me how to do it, not to mention it was also in the manual but I wanted to check and be sure.

The only problem I had was that almost 1.5 gallons came out, but only about 3/4 gallons went back in.  That had me worried until I realized I'd taken the original reservoir tank (under the bed in the engine compartment) out of the loop.  That contained about .7 gallons.  So not only have I now replaced and cleaned 4 out of the 5 fan units, I now heat a lot less antifreeze in the loop.  This will certainly allow my electrical unit to keep up much better for heating the coach.

I gave up on the fan under the bathroom vanity as they buried the screws into the carpeted shelf floorings and though I found some I just gave up finding the others.  I believe to get to the heater unit for cleaning you have to remove the lower shelf and I was simply unable to.  The other 4 in coach units were ok to get to.

From my examination of the heater units I removed, there is no doubt that the one in the bathroom is filthy.  How are other owners cleaning their heater units?

Mike