Author Topic: sloppy satellite dish  (Read 4708 times)

Jeremy Parrett

sloppy satellite dish
« on: March 30, 2016, 04:56:58 PM »
In windy conditions my Winegard SK7003 looses the signal.  The turret base is sloppy. It can be rotated by hand an inch or so and also tilted back or forward .
I believe the system was damaged when I drove 40 miles with the antenna raised !!  My wife had initiated the stow cycle and halfway through it I disconnected the power to the coach !!
  Needless to say one of us now checks to make sure the dish has stowed itself !!
 Has anyone here experienced sloppiness or looseness in their Winegard traveler system causing the dish to loose its signal in windy conditions???

Dick Simonis

Re: sloppy satellite dish
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 05:32:32 PM »
Jeremy, mine has never had a problem but I can see where driving with it partially raised could be an issue.  Like you I have disconnected power while it was being stowed but with the inverter on (our default condition) it continued to stow.

Have you contacted Wineguard to see what they have to say??

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 08:24:09 PM »
Sounds like a new Traveler is in order, probably stripped some of the gear drive. Probably have to send it to Winegard and would cost as much as a new Traveler SK 1000.

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 05:33:58 PM »
  AARP The Hartford  are going to pick up the tab !!
 The tech will return the  whole thing  to Winegard   tomorrow for diagnosis. It will either be repaired or replaced.  I am guessing  labor, traveling time, diagnosis ,shipping and  deductible will be my costs.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 02:14:19 AM by Jeremy Parrett »

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 06:23:40 AM »
Winegard returned the satellite dish yesterday and the tech installed it today.  The elevation motor, azimuth motor bushing and a few other parts have been replaced and it works fine. 
  The Winegard bill was around $500 for a total including labor of $1200 approx which my insurance company will pick up less my $250 deductible.   Lucky I guess that  they could repair the base part !!