Author Topic: Still Holding the Pump Handle----Any Ideas Why?  (Read 6105 times)

D. Wendal Attig

Still Holding the Pump Handle----Any Ideas Why?
« on: April 08, 2016, 03:59:58 AM »
When I first filled up the fuel tank on our 2002 Patriot Monticello i noticed that the fuel would not pump without holding the pump handle manually. Frankly it was annoying, but as a new Beaver owner, i figured I would ask the members of this forum why. I have since pumped several tanks full. Once I tried opening the filler cap on the opposite side of the coach, thinking there might be a vent problem causing fumes to cut-off nozzle flow prematurely. No luck. Still annoying. Any ideas?  Thanks

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Still Holding the Pump Handle----Any Ideas Why?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 05:54:21 AM »
The hose from the fill port to the tank is almost horizontal so there isn't much gravity feed to help. The hose enters the tank at about the 2/3 full point making flow slow. IMHO poor design. Couple of things that can help both with both auto and semi truck fill nozzles, Only insert the nozzle until it will hold itself in the port. This will help "de-sensitize the shut off sensor in the nozzle. This is especially true when at the semi truck pumps. On these pumps, you should be able to use the first detent on the flow control. As far as I know, this is a universal problem on Beavers with the Magnum chassis.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Dick Simonis

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 04:00:35 PM »
It's not a great design but I have found the passenger side fill is much better than the drivers side.....if that is any help.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 04:03:47 PM »
Our Beaver has a Roadmaster chassis, and has the same problem.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 05:23:03 PM »
When you look at the tank pipe entry point, it is not at the top of the tank as Steve pointed out. As the tank fills to beyond this entry point you are then forcing fuel in against the pressure of the fuel that is already in the tank. The fuel is basically seeking its own equal level from the fill pipe to the tank which means the flow is slow, limited, and constantly re-balancing itself. Your flow has to be slow enough to allow the levels to equalize enough that the fill pipe does not trip the fill nozzle sensor....I do not even bother with the truck fill locations unless I have to, the small nozzle diesel pumps can at least be set on a notch so the flow allows filling without holding the handle manually. I can think of no way to improve this without some modification that moves the fill point to the top of the tank.

I have tried opening the opposite fill cap as a vent but it makes no difference because it is not really an airlock vent issue (my opinion), it is just a flow issue with fuel pushing against the existing fuel pressure from the higher fill level in the tank. The venting that we have seems to work OK.

Later Ed

D. Wendal Attig

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 06:02:35 PM »
Thanks so much for the responses and good information. I appreciate the suggestions for the work-arounds, too.

The comments on  where the pipe travels to and enters the tank make me wonder if I should avoid filling the tank beyond about 2/3rds. Otherwise wouldn't the fuel continue putting pressure on the fill pipe?   

I'll try these suggestions and maybe  add a two-step footstool so I can assume the right position to avoid human frame distortion and possibly failure--(which I'm almost sure would not be covered under an extended warranty!) ;D

Roger Rempe

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 08:27:12 PM »
Timely topic for us. A few days ago we had a leak in one of the fill hoses. The tank was nearly full and as Steve mentioned the entry point is in a bad spot. The tech had to drain off mucho gallons before replacing the hose. He'd said that he'd never before seen such a poor design like this.
I try to keep a topped off tank because our fuel gauge is faulty and always reads full. When we were at Beaver Coach Sales & Service in Bend a couple years back they failed to repair said gauge. However they didn't fail to bill me for it. Of course we didn't notice it until we were miles away and on a tight schedule.
I've found that just barely inserting the fuel nozzle and holding it at an angle so that the fuel is hitting the inside wall of the tube works the best.   
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 08:30:59 PM by Roger Rempe »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 10:55:51 PM »
Like Ed, I avoid the high-volume truck pumps, and head wherever possible to the slower speed ones.  As many here know, I much prefer Pacific Pride stations, via my Pioneer Fuel membership.  There is always high-speed truck pumps, usually with satellite units across from them, and also slow-speed ones to service commercial members such as farmers with diesel pickups or church vans/buses that are diesel. 

The way I see it, the truckers commonly have cylindrical exterior tanks on each side of the cab, with open top ports that they can view the fill status through as they pump.  A pickup, for example, is a whole different fill port setup of course - unless you have a bed tank with an open top port, you can't see how full it's getting.   So a trucker can fill tanks on both sides of his cab at high flow, no problem.  On a rig with a filler neck, not so much.  And someone once indicated to me that at least some of our coaches have Y shaped fill necks;  one from each side joined together before entering the tank.

Going with the slower pumps I find it easier to get the nozzle to run on its own, and listening carefully as I judge it's reaching the amount needed to fill, I usually prevent much foamback.  Opening the far side port is likely only to result in foamback out both open ports, losing twice the fuel before getting it stopped.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat