Author Topic: Windshield Chip Repair  (Read 3635 times)

Roger Rempe

Windshield Chip Repair
« on: April 08, 2016, 10:37:22 PM »
While washing the bugs off of my windshield today, I noticed a small (less than 1/8" dia.) and shallow chip. I've emailed my insurance company (Blue Sky) to see if they cover chip repair and waiting for a reply. In the mean time, I've been doing a little research online about these DIY kits. Do any of you have any experience/recommendations using these kits or should it be left to a pro? I checked with Safelite and they want over $100 whereas a kit would run about $10.   

Bill Sprague

Re: Windshield Chip Repair
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 03:53:42 AM »
I've used the Permatex kit a couple times.  The repair was not invisible, but the chip did not grow nor did moisture get into the glass. 

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 05:01:50 AM »
When our windshield got blasted last year in Wy thunderstorm by a truck kicking up road rocks I used the Permatex kit on about seven chips and dings. You can see them but knock on wood none have moved at all. I thought for sure that the windshield was a goner but not yet.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 03:52:42 PM »
Roger,
Consider waiting for your ins co reply. Many will cover chip repair at $0 since it saves them from the later cost of replacement.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Roger Rempe

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 05:25:53 PM »
Thanks for the tips. Trying to get my ducks in a row about the best way to take care of it. Not long after purchasing our Monterey from Lazy Days in Florida, the windshield broke as I was slowly backing into a site and rolled over a small depression. Don't want to go through glass replacement again. Apparently, when Lazy Days replaced the windshield (due to a small crack) prior to our purchase, the techs caulked in the entire glass. Big mistake as it prevented the glass from "floating" in the gasket and making it rigid.