Author Topic: Power washing engine  (Read 4892 times)

Dale Walker

Power washing engine
« on: June 08, 2016, 02:23:00 AM »
Well, I took my coach down to the shop, with the express intention of power washing the engine compartment, but after I got ready I chickened out. Question is, how many of you power wash the engine compartment, and have you had any issues? I power washed my Discovery twice, and it got water in someplace it didn't like because it quit. After that happened, I took every electrical connection a part and used di-electric grease in every single one, didn't have a problem again, but not anxious to tackle this project again.

Dale

Bill Sprague

Re: Power washing engine
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 02:51:16 AM »
When we had our Monterey for a dozen years I would rinse it with hot water.  I adapted the outside shower to a garden hose connection, turned on the HydroHot, put a garden nozzle on the hose and sprayed at low pressure with hot water.  It was never as good as a professional steam cleaning, but I thought it worked pretty good. 

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 01:39:16 PM »
Dale I have had my engine done a few times, never had a problem.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 04:21:41 PM »
Dale,
There is always the possibility of getting water in the wrong place when you are directing a 3000 lbs.+ stream of water at an electronically controlled engine. Your Cat has good quality weather packs on all of the electronic connections, but they are not designed to prevent penetration from a direct blast from a commercial pressure washer. 

Pressure washing an engine can be a risk, so what are you trying to achieve, and is it worth the risk, even though the risk is very small if you are conscious of where you are directing the spray. If you have an oil film on the engine like from a hydraulic hose failure that you want to remove it to reduce the fire potential, I would say that is a good idea, but if it is just to pretty up the engine a little and you are the only one who will see it, is that worth the risk? You are the one who has to answer the question.

Gerald   

Dale Walker

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 12:47:46 AM »
Thanks guys, you've been a big help!!(sarcasm) LOL!! The engine is just dusted over, no oil film, just dirty, and I'd like to see it clean.

Truly thanks, guys, really!! LOL!!

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 02:05:53 AM »
Gunk and others make an engine degreaser.  Warm engine then spray with product, then rinse with regular hose.  Never had an issue.  But again as Gerald said, always your call.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 03:42:44 AM »
The confines of an engine compartment never seemed to me the greatest place for using a pressure washer.  I'd likely get more water on me than on the engine, and couldn't get the best angles with the nozzle.  More importantly as Gerald points out, it'd be too easy to force water into some component that should never see it.

On the farm years ago I often used the Gunk method on oily dirt, and it worked well.  In your case though I'd just wrap any electronics (mostly found around the top where road spray normally doesn't go) and the alternator, starter, and any obvious openings with plastic wrap or shrink wrap on small hand spools like I've found at hardware stores.  Spray with Extreme Simple Green for Motorsports, let soak but keep damp, and hose off.  Hot water as Bill mentions might be helpful, but that's up to you and how accessible the hot water is.  It shouldn't be that critical for just the dusty engine you describe.  I'd warm up the engine after removing the plastic wrap to hasten drying of any areas that don't normally see moisture.

My engine isn't all that dirty, as I've carefully just hosed it down several times over its 16000 miles so it's not accumulated.  Stubborn spots with oily dirt earned a Simple Green soak first, but I never had to use wrap yet as I just kept away from water-sensitive components.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat