Author Topic: TV replacement '04 Monterey  (Read 5342 times)

Bill Stireman

TV replacement '04 Monterey
« on: July 30, 2010, 07:14:29 PM »
I have an '04 Monterey.  I would like to switch out the Sony analog TVs which came with the unit and install digital flat screen TVs without doing some cabinet work.  The original TVs are about 27" x 20' the newer TVs are more rectangular.  Has anybody had any experience with this?  Any TV brands & models to suggest?  How difficult is it to pull out the old TVs?  :)

LarryNCarolynShirk

Re: TV replacement '04 Monterey
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 08:46:33 PM »
I changed out both 20" Sony TVs in our Marquis.  There were 4 screws holding the frame around the front.  Get some help to hold the TV while you label the wires.  Be sure to label all wires, so you can reconnect to the new TV.  Our Bose system uses RCA plugs, so I had to find a LCD TV with RCA sound output jacks.  Then measure the space you have, and find one that will allow you to open the doors on cabinets on each side.  An overlap of the cabinet frame is OK if you can open all the doors without moving the TV.  I bought an articulating arm to mount the new TV to the side of the cabinet inside.  This allows the new TV to be positioned facing any direction within reason and tilt down.  I found  the 26" LG fit without cabinet work.  The manufacturers change models and sizes frequently, so you need to shop for one that is available that fits the space.  We also bought a Vizio for the bedroom.  We like the LG better.  Now there are LED screens available which are thinner, and take less space.  I would look for one of those now.  It is a good project.  Have fun.

Larry
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 05:06:29 AM by 14 »

Bill Stireman

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 08:58:42 PM »
Thank you Gerald - that is great information.  I am going to do it this weekend. :)

Bill Stireman

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 08:59:46 PM »
sorry - that is thank you Larry

David Rudisill

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 08:20:52 PM »
I replaced the front head-banger a couple years ago. You can see pictures in the Photos section of http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Diesel-RV/.

I paid a cabinet maker $300 to revise the cabinetry. That raised that dangerous corner up several inches and forward several inches.

Keep in mind that when you switch out the old style 4:3 TV to the new style 16:9, programming in the old format either will be distorted to fill the screen or will have black bands on the left and right sides. In the latter case, I found that a 32" LCD TV gives about the same picture size as the old 26" Sony that came with the coach.

Bill Stireman

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 09:16:06 PM »
Thanks for the input Dave.  I already made the switch with just a minor modification to the head banger.  I added a 1.5" strip of cherry to the top & bottom of the frame.  I got the cherry from a local hardwood supplier and he cut it to size.  All I had to do was sand, spray four coats of Eurethane and screw both sticks to the frame.  They look like they were there from the factory.  I installed a 26" Hitachi combo tv/DVD.  It works great, and the whole package cost me less than $600.  Thinking of switching out the bedroom tv with the same package.

Bill Stireman

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 08:39:32 PM »
Here is a picture of the TV replacement in my '04 Monterey.

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 01:08:39 AM »
That looks good.  Just like it belonged there.

Larry