Author Topic: Wont move then loud bang!  (Read 7172 times)

Dan Murphy

Wont move then loud bang!
« on: April 23, 2016, 06:48:18 PM »
Thai has happened twice now and I need some advice. I am parked an extended time and I go to move and when put in drive and brake released the coach won't move. I give it some more throttle and with a loud bang something feels as if it breaks loose and I can move the coach.
I assume this may be something sticking or hanging up with the brakes.

Is there any thing I can look at,grease,spray,hit with a hammer,etc.

Is this something to be worried about and have checked soon at some overpriced repair facility or can it wait till I can find a skinny friend to crawl under my coach?

Dwight Wilson

• BAC Member
Re: Wont move then loud bang!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 07:32:04 PM »
Hi Dan, I have had this happen with a previous coach and know of others that have also experienced this after sitting for a period of time in high humidity or in a rainy environment. The brake shoes/drums can get some rust and causes them to stick against the drums. If you have drum brakes this could be the cause. I only had it occur twice.
Dwight Wilson
Calgary, Alberta
05 Patriot Thunder C13 Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 01:24:46 PM »
Dan,
Like Dwight states, it sounds like you are getting a rust buildup in a drum brake. The same thing happens in very cold weather with the brake shoes freezing to the brake drums. There is no reasonable cure other than moving the coach more often, however you can try to gently rock the coach back and forth when this happens to brake the adhesion between the brake shoes and brake drum to reduce or stop the "bang" when the rust breaks loose. 

Gerald

George Harwell

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 01:37:21 PM »
Ditto what Dwight said. I have drum brakes and if you park after driving through heavy rain the drums can rust causing your delima. If you let it set for a week or two before moving again the rust really takes hold. On one occasion mine were so attached to the drum that they would not release in forward or reverse so I crawled (skinny me) under with a pry bar to break the shoes free. Hasn't happened in a long time.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 03:43:05 PM »
Thai has happened twice now ....

Dan, ours did it a couple times too.  It was from setting the brake when the brakes had been wet.  If you've been driving in the rain you could block the tires and leave the brake released until they dry.  I'm repeating on purpose, block the wheels first!.

Dan Murphy

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 07:59:46 PM »
Thanks to all. I was thinking that it must be the brakes. I like Bill's advice because thinking back when we came home from Louisiana we traveled thru rain and parked.
The other time was when I moved after sitting for month in Florida and I had just had the coached washed.Kinda makes sense now.
I will try to remember not to set the brakes if I think they may be wet and I will block the tires Bill!

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 09:16:05 PM »
Dan
       The replies all sound good. I would like to add, however, after you drive for 10 or 15 miles, pull off and check your brake temp using your hand near the wheels just to compare heat around your wheels. This will give you an indication if you would happen to have a brake dragging. But don't touch, or a heat gun. I had a brake drag on the 2001 and it hit 350 degrees.

Larry D
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15

Gary Carver

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 02:36:00 AM »
I use to have this happen a lot on my trucks so if it was raining i would ride the brake about a mile before i stoped ---this seamed to cause enough heat to dry them and they wouldnt rust as bad