Author Topic: King Dome In-Motion  (Read 8883 times)

Dennis Belfils

King Dome In-Motion
« on: May 08, 2016, 06:56:46 PM »
Is there a DVR, either from Dish or Direct, that will work with a King Dome vintage 2006?

Dale Walker

Re: King Dome In-Motion
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 09:48:05 PM »
I guess I don't understand you question, Dennis. I had a King-Dome in-motion, that I used with DirecTV. I had it screw up twice, they were a good company to work with, simple to repair.

I see you have a Montclair IV to, I like this lay out very much. Had a friend who owns a HR, look at and said he wished his was like that. Kind of an off hand comment, but I'll take it! LOL!!

Dennis Belfils

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 09:55:22 PM »
 Want the DVR receiver so I can record, while watching another channel. Don't care if it's HD or not. Not sure if the King Dome will support that type of equipment. In talking with Dish, they have a receiver for RV's, but is not capable of doing that. Was wondering if anyone else is set up that way

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 01:23:24 AM »
In our coach we have a DISH DVR 722k receiver.  With it we can receive and watch, or record two channels at one time, in any combination...  i.e., watch/record one channel in the living room while watching/recording a different channel in the bedroom.  There are many instances that two channels will have shows we want to watch/record that are scheduled during the same broadcasting hour.  We can watch/record one channel while watching/recording the other channel at the same time.  And while the DVR is recording two channels we can be watching two recordings that were recorded during an earlier broadcasting hour.

Our setup is a RF Mogul Eagle 3 for DISH... one satellite dish that sees three satellites at once with three LNBs mounted on the satellite dish (satellites 110, 119, 129)... with the Top 250 Gold subscription from DISH... $145 per month.  This package includes two more receivers kept in the house that also operate individually in the same manner.  So, in the house we can watch and record two separate channels in the bedroom while watching and recording two different and separate channels in the living room. It's expensive, but it works for us.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 01:49:34 AM »
Dennis,
I had a King Dome on the PT and replaced it with the Traveler 1000 for Dish, it has 3 LNB's so it is full HD and you can watch and record different channels from different sat's. I don't remember if the Dome would do that, I do know that if one channel was on a different sat you could not watch one and record the other. The Traveler solved all those problems. We never used the Dome while traveling anyway and it would loose its signal in fog or rain.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 01:49:56 AM »
Dennis,
I'm far from an expert here but I think it should work if you have 2 cables coming from the dish. We had a King Dome (circa 2000) in motion  and it did have 2 coax cables coming into the coach from the dish but I never messed with it. A call to King Dome might be helpful.
From Direct TV's FAQs: DVR´s require two separate coax cables, one for each tuner, unless you have a SWM or Single Wire Multiswitch, in which case a single line would only be required.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Dennis Belfils

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 03:29:51 PM »
Thanx all, I'll contact King Dome to see if the 722K receiver will work.............

Dennis Belfils

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 08:27:35 PM »
According to King Dome, our system, which is a model 9762, will no longer work due to changes made by EchoStar.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 01:24:33 AM »
Last Fall Echostar changed the "sync-code" that tells the satellite dish's software when it's aimed correctly.  The result was that the aiming software for many satellite dish models became obsolete.  The updated aiming software simply had to have the new "sync-code" imbedded.  In my case with a RF Mogul satellite dish the problem was terminal because Mogul did not have the source code for their aiming software.  Thus, we Mogul customers had to upgrade to the new dishes for which Mogul did have the software source code...  a $1,200 plus freight and installation cost.  I performed my own installation.   In my case I am using the Eagle 3 for DISH and the upgrade included a new control box and hub which lifts and turns the dish.

From the end user's perspective, the aiming problem was very frustrating!  The dish would find all the satellites okay but didn't know when to quit searching.  It would act normally up to a point but would give up (no "sync-code"), then reset and again start the search process... over and over for hours until it gave up with an error code.

More recently, about two months ago, I was told by Mogul that Echostar changed its "sync-code" yet again.  But this time Mogul had the source code for its Eagle 3 (and other newer and similar Mogul dishes).  Thus, Mogul was able to update their aiming software and place it on their website.  Mine now works fine again after I downloaded the new aiming software to a USB flashdrive and uploaded it into the new control box.  I think Jim Pendleton, Mogul's president, told me the Mogul software now does not rely on a "sync-code" from the Echostar satellite, so this should not happen any more in the future.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 01:33:05 AM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 02:12:36 AM »
Dennis,
I switched from a King Dome to a Winegard dish about a year ago and am extremely pleased with the result as the dish (Direct TV) gives me HD and syncs quicker than the King Dome. The Dish version is a bit less $ than this one. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=RV+winegard+dishes
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Dennis Belfils

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 03:50:20 AM »
It's too bad so many will have to trash their systems & spend a good chunk of money just to keep up with a software change. Not sure if we will go another rooftop or carry-out at this point, but thanx anyhow for the info............

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 11:14:28 AM »
Camping World has the Winegard traveler satellite for dish on sale now for a good discount.......
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl