Author Topic: Normal or not?  (Read 5043 times)

Michael Hannan

Normal or not?
« on: May 01, 2016, 05:27:01 AM »
I noticed that when using generator or battery converter power, the flame on my stovetop burners is lower than when plugged into shore power.  Is this normal?

Thanks
MJ

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
Re: Normal or not?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 12:19:59 PM »
Odd at best. You are very observant and now I will be looking a little closer.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 04:13:26 PM »
They are in no way related.   There are no electrical connections in the propane system.  Your burners will operate when there is no electrical power of any sort from anywhere.  One possible explanation is that the color or intensity of the light changes a little with a voltage difference so the flame may appear to be different to the eye.

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 06:52:40 PM »
Michael, Bill,

One possible explanation is if you have an electrically driven solenoid valve on the propane line as part of a propane monitor/safety system it could be limiting flow if for some reason it had lower DC voltage applied when not using the shore power and charger. It seems like it should not matter voltage wise between the generator and shore power as a source however. The solenoid valve is at the exit of the propane tank with two wires on it. Check the DC voltage there with shore power on and later when you are getting the low flame with shore power off and converter on. This scenario as a cause is unlikely but if what you observe is real then it must have an explanation.....The other check I would consider is propane pressure out of the propane regulator to see if that is in spec.

Later Ed

Michael Hannan

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 12:42:05 AM »
Thanks folks. 

MJ