Author Topic: Windshield Wiper travel  (Read 6376 times)

Michael Hannan

Windshield Wiper travel
« on: May 03, 2016, 12:48:07 AM »
While driving in the rain the other day I noticed that neither windshield wiper wiped the part of the windshield where I look through to see the mirrors.  It appears that the length and travel of the arms are to spec.  Has anyone else encountered this and  done a mod to solve it?  A wiper that tracked straight across from side to side (2 part windshield) would be nice to have.

Thanks
MJ

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
Re: Windshield Wiper travel
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 02:51:04 AM »
We have experienced that also and we have the one piece windshield. We have used rainX on those edges and it does help unless it's a downpour.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

William Ervin

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 02:20:34 PM »
Mine has never cleaned that area, just used RainX. My wipers had a tough time doing the window in front of me, I ended up replacing my entire mechanism.  Pantograph adapter (Mount), Arm and blades.   They work much better now

I got them from AM Equipment in Oregon http://store.amequipment.com/

Bill
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 02:25:15 PM by William Ervin »

Michael Hannan

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 08:45:57 PM »
Mine has never cleaned that area, just used RainX. My wipers had a tough time doing the window in front of me, I ended up replacing my entire mechanism.  Pantograph adapter (Mount), Arm and blades.   They work much better now

I got them from AM Equipment in Oregon http://store.amequipment.com/

Bill

Bill, did you have to replace the wiper motor too so the pantograph adapter & arms would work? 

MJ

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 11:52:05 PM »
For those of you that are finding that your wipers do not wipe well in the full travel sweep consider shortening your blade length for the best compromise wiper use. The shortening allows for more pressure per inch of blade and there is a sweet spot between length of blade wipe and width of a well wiped blade path on the windshield.

I had blades that did a good job that were several inches shorter then the originals when I bought the coach. I got wind of the original length in a post and bought a set. I think the shorter blades in general might have been a better compromise.

Some have added helper springs and had some improvement...no perfect answer, but blade length is worth some trial and error.

Later Ed

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 04:12:11 PM »
Michael,
Your 2003 Marquis does not use the same windshield wipers that were used on Bill's 96 Patriot. So a modification that was effective on a SMC built 96 model will probably not work on a Monaco built 2003 coach.

Gerald 

William Ervin

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 03:56:06 PM »

Bill, did you have to replace the wiper motor too so the pantograph adapter & arms would work? 

MJ

No everything worked fine behind the front cap,  I just replaced the outside parts.   I think the spring in the wiper arm gets a bit weak after 15 years plus, I replaced the Pantograph adapters because secondary arm attachment on one of them was spinning on its mount.

You can adjust where the wiper wipes by its adjusting it on the spline clockwise or counter clockwise and testing the travel, but you'll need to road test it as well because it will act differently with the relative wind hitting the blade.

William Ervin

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 04:02:52 PM »
Michael,
Your 2003 Marquis does not use the same windshield wipers that were used on Bill's 96 Patriot. So a modification that was effective on a SMC built 96 model will probably not work on a Monaco built 2003 coach.

Gerald

I really didn't modify anything, just replace the worn out parts with as close to the same as we could get.  AM Equipment supplies a lot of OEM wiper systems so they will work with you to get the right parts for your coach.  Great Folks